Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding courses

(8 Posts)
bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Thu 17-Nov-16 21:30:06

I have been on here before scoping the ins and outs to becoming a childminder and now the time has come where this is looking likely to happen.

I have been on various websites (, pacey etc) but I have not read into any of it at length.

I have recently contacted my LA regarding childminding courses and I have had the reply of "At present we don't have details of the next course to be run so we will add you to the waiting list." But I can book onto their 'briefing sessions' which are free. The LA did point out that there are private courses but that they "can not recommend or verify any quality of teaching materials within these."

So my question is;
When 'you' trained to become a childminder, did you do all your training through the LA or did you use an external provider?

Is it allowed to use external providers and still register to become a childminder?

It seems a mind field and certainly not an 'easy' profession to work in in terms of getting started!

HSMMaCM Fri 18-Nov-16 16:12:13

I did it all through the Local Authority. Ask them what external courses would be relevant. You don't want to do one and then have to do another one.

Have you got a DBS check for something else, or do you need to get one for this and have to go through the lottery of it might take a week and might take 6 months?

thisgirlrides Fri 18-Nov-16 16:12:32

I believe it differs from area to area but certainly where I am you can only do the LA run course. Much like you I was told briefing session fine but no date for the actual course (are you Kent by any chance?) so in the end I did the briefing session then pestered rang them quite frequently and got a Space on the next course. Whatever you do don't waste your money on a course run by an external unless you are 100% sure your LA will approve it or they won't grant your registration!
My course briefing was in June, course in September and I started cm in early November.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Fri 18-Nov-16 19:49:54

I thought it was OFSTED that grants your registration not the LA? Surely these external courses (Pacey) wouldn't exist if they were not approved. I am confused as to how some county councils approve them (probably because they don't do them) but others don't. It's almost like having to 're-train' if you move to a different county if your 'new' council doesn't accept your current qualification that was fine by your 'old' county AND OFSTED.

I already have a very recent enhanced DBS check (done in August) so that is up to date. Obviously I would need one for other members of my household over the age of 16 and I also have a paediatric first aid certificate that was completed October 2015.

I am not Kent. I am in one of the 'Yorkshire' counties.

HSMMaCM Sat 19-Nov-16 11:21:05

Once you're registered with Ofsted, you don't have to retrain if you move, you just let them know.

You are right, it is Ofsted that register you, but there are childcare courses which aren't correct for childminding, so use your LA as a source of information and help.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sat 19-Nov-16 20:50:56

Can i use PACEY?

wineandsunshine Mon 28-Nov-16 16:12:03

It is Ofsted that register you - I'm not sure why people are saying it's the LA?! I'm a CM and yes I did use my LA - this was £200 and during that time I also did my own DBS, health certificate and references.

My advice would be - ring Ofsted tomorrow (they are rubbish at replying to emails). Ask them if they will accept other training providers that are approved for childminding.

Also your local services for young children may be able to offer advice. Good luck OP!

wineandsunshine Mon 28-Nov-16 16:12:24

Ps yes you can use Pacey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now