Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Exclusion from childminders when taking antibiotics

(10 Posts)
MGMidget Tue 15-Nov-16 08:42:06

I wondered if it was normal for children to be expected to stay at home from childminders when taking antibiotics for the entire course or just 24 hours? I am considering a childminder setting which looks great in every way but there's one thing putting me off. That is the policy that children must stay home when taking antibiotics - for the whole course of antibiotics. When I have looked at other childcare settings the usual rule seems to be that they must stay home for the first 24 hours in case they have an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. This is the first time I have heard of a policy where they can't attend for the whole course of antibiotics. I am wondering if this is a common policy, especially amongst childminders? Perhaps some childminders or those using childminders could tell me? Thanks!

NickNacks Tue 15-Nov-16 12:16:26

I'm a cm and just exclude for the first 24 hours.

jannier Tue 15-Nov-16 13:59:15

I exclude for at least 24 hours in case of reaction but also ask that the child is well enough to take part in normal daily activities. Unfortunately some parents do then dose up on Calpol send to childcare and child goes rapidly down hill around 4 hours after arrival maybe this cm has had too much of this. I would suggest asking her to clarify the reasons for her policy on this and see if this applies to all illness for example some children have antibiotics frequently for underlying conditions that are not contagious.

Maryann1975 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:22:27

I agree with Jannier. I have had so many parents tell me their child is fine, nothing the matter and then act surprised when their child is poorly again at lunchtime. Some children are very truthful and will tell you 'I was sick in the night and I've had my medicine this morning to make me better' all while parents are telling you that the child is fine and slept through the night. Unfortunately the families who came before you have done you no favours with regard my illness policy.
I don't routinely have a 24 hour rule to antibiotics but do ask that the child is well enough to be with me and go out on the school run and join in as normal. I don't think excluding for the entire course of antibiotics is particularly good practise though. I think it would push some parents to give the medicine in an incorrect way (e.g. Try to squeeze too many doses in to their time rather than ask cm to give it so they can say it's finished, or to not finish the full course of medicine).

insancerre Tue 15-Nov-16 14:32:49

Its up to the childminders to set their own policies as there is no legal obligation for children to be given short term medicines in early years settings
The childminder can choose not to give the medicine or exclude and its down to the parents to decide whether they accept those terms and conditions or not. If they don't then they are free to choose another cm

HSMMaCM Tue 15-Nov-16 14:32:49

I exclude for 24 hours if it's an antibiotic they haven't had before. Then, as the others I exclude if they are not well enough to take part in. Or al activities.

I am very careful when giving medicine, as I'm allergic to penicillin and that is what most children are given. Maybe that childminder is either allergic, or fed up with parents sending sick children.

HSMMaCM Tue 15-Nov-16 14:33:30

Or al = normal !

Sometimespostingalwayslurking Tue 15-Nov-16 19:40:44

24 hours is fine but for the whole course of ABs is crazy! I would query that. Often it takes over a week to administer a course of antibiotics, what are you supposed to do take a week off work? I can understand if CMs don't want the child for the initial 24-48 hours but this is too much.

MGMidget Tue 22-Nov-16 18:05:34

Thank you everyone. It is good to hear that most childminders don't exclude for more than a day or so. I will have to rule this childminder out but at least I can still consider others.

To answer some questions: no the childminder said she was not allergic. She seemed though to have a bit of a misperception about what antibiotics are for. Her view was that if a child was 'not very ill' and only needed to take antibiotics first thing in the morning and in the evening then they could have them at home and still come to the nursery. However, if they needed a dose during the time they were at the minders then they were 'too ill' to be at the childminders! She was, however, happy to give other medicines, including Calpol, if needed owing to a high temperature.

MGMidget Tue 22-Nov-16 18:06:23

Oops I meant childminders not nursery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now