This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare vouchers accruing and job changes and Ofsted registration

(10 Posts)
SplinteryBottom Fri 11-Nov-16 12:52:05

Just wondering of anyone's experiences on this..

We have a nanny who joined us for the autumn term, she's doing great, really want to keep her. She was not Ofsted registered, although we made clear in our contract that that is something we'd like in future - she has 90% of the boxes ticked I think, just needs to get registered.

DH recieves childcare vouchers through salary sacrifice. The last ones we used were for holiday club so they've been accruing since (I think!). He is about to move jobs.

Soo.. how quickly can our nanny get Ofsted registered do you know?
And from a nanny's perspective how simple is it to get set up to be part0paid using vouchers (we use a nany tax company - maybe I should ask them?)

And from an employee's perspective - has anyone left a job with vouchers accrued and what happens to them?

lunchboxtroubles Fri 11-Nov-16 12:58:07

I think the vouchers stay as they are held by the company. General wisdom on MN is that it can take some time - months rather than weeks

lunchboxtroubles Fri 11-Nov-16 12:58:38

sorry - realised that was confusing. They stay with you as held by the voucher company. Not they stay with the company that he is leaving and you lose them!

LightTripper Fri 11-Nov-16 14:45:07

I am in the same position. My nanny started in early September and applied straight away - she is still waiting to hear anything other than the acknowledgement of her application. I had read on here it can be veeerrrryyy slow and bureaucratic.

Actually paying using vouchers is very simple. I use PAYEforNannies and they send me a payslip each month telling me how much I need to pay. I then subtract the voucher amount (which gets paid to nanny directly by the voucher company) and do a bank transfer for the balance.

When she is finally registered we'll have a bit of an accrued lump sum of vouchers, so there will just be one month where the voucher payments will be more and the direct payment from me will be less.

nannynick Fri 11-Nov-16 15:46:39

Registration takes varying amounts of time. First thing they need to get is a DBS check on the Update Service. That can take from about a week to several months.

Nanny applies for that via www.OfsteddbsApplication.co.uk

Then once they have that check back and they have registered on the DBS update service they can then complete the Ofsted form CR1. NannyPaye and BAPN have guides for completing the form if your nanny requires assistance.

Ofsted has a target of 12 weeks. They can be faster than that and they can be slower.

Once they have their Registration Certificate they can then provide details to the voucher provider.

Issues with vouchers usually concern the delay in payment and them getting stuck (due to waiting to be authorised by parent). Check with voucher company about the authorisation process for voucher payments as it varies. Payment delay from authorisation is often 3-4 days so if paying nanny at end of month, the voucher needs to be ready to be issued and authorised by 26/27th of the month.

nannynick Fri 11-Nov-16 15:49:45

When paying using vouchers, simply deduct the voucher amount from the net pay figure on the payslip.

E.g. Net pay £1500
Voucher £200
You pay nanny £1300 and voucher company transfers £200.

The voucher does not need to be shown on the payslip... but the payments to the nanny must match the net pay figure on the payslip.

SplinteryBottom Fri 11-Nov-16 17:37:11

Thank you both that's very helpful. I was going to ask her to look into it over Christmas but I think I'll bring it forward.

Presumably re. DH's vouchers it's best to ask his current HR to tell us the company they are held with and then ask them how we transfer them once he's left his current employer>

LightTripper Fri 11-Nov-16 17:51:58

Yes I think so - but the account should be personal to you (him), so I think the main thing you'll need to do is just check that they have up to date contact details for him after he's left (presumably they may currently have his office e-mail and DL). They may not need to transfer anything, they'll just hold them until he can pay them out to your nanny.

meggleshs Mon 14-Nov-16 15:11:38

We're in exactly the same boat. Our nanny starting applying for Ofstead on 4-Sep. Recieved the final certificate last week. Now she's signed up for our childcare voucher company. This month I'll pay her a largish lump from the voucher company, and then starting next month we'll pay just the £124 from teh voucher and remainder from normal accounts.

You can also save up the vouchers to use for out of school time things, etc.

DowntonDiva Mon 14-Nov-16 15:17:11

My nanny took 4 months including attending the courses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now