Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nwoc sick provision

(8 Posts)
wizzywig Mon 31-Oct-16 13:08:20

If anyone has a nwoc, how do you deal with the inevitable of her not being able to come in as their own child is off sick? Do you pay a full wage for as long as it takes? Ask them to take it as unpaid or to use up tjeir holiday entitlement? Thanks

MaryManchego Mon 31-Oct-16 13:11:37

Wouldn't you treat it the same as anyone else who can't come in due to their child's illness? Ie as per contract, along the line ofl emergency unpaid leave to make arrangements and then either annual leave or unpaid leave if longer is needed?

MaryManchego Mon 31-Oct-16 13:13:04

Obvs some employers offer paid emergency leave as a goodwill gesture. Or 1 week blocks of (unpaid) parental leave could be an option

wizzywig Mon 31-Oct-16 13:14:24

Ok thanks mary. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt being unreasonable by saying take it as unpaid or off yr annual leave. It comes down to me not being able to work if there is no nanny

MaryManchego Mon 31-Oct-16 13:53:57

Very few employers would offer unlimited paid leave for a sick dependent, don't feel bad if you can't either.

wizzywig Mon 31-Oct-16 13:57:07

Thanks again for such quick answers. She is a new nanny so ive asked for her contract to be amended.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 31-Oct-16 17:49:51

What did you discuss over sickness at interview?

Are you happy for her to bring an unwell child to yours if means she can work?

But yes unpaid or taken off holiday is fair

Ebb Mon 31-Oct-16 18:23:51

I've always taken annual leave if my child has been sick but luckily they've never had anything major and bosses have been happy for me to bring in to work with coughs/cold and have quiet days if necessary. My dp also had a more flexible job so could work from home if needed. Generally all the children seemed to catch the same bugs at the same time so they would have sofa days together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now