Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Retainer fee

(7 Posts)
wineandsunshine Tue 25-Oct-16 09:32:37

I'm just wondering what anyone thinks about charging a retainer fee for half term/summer holiday? So if a child is term time only would Half fees be appropriate?

Thankyou smile

MsMermaid Tue 25-Oct-16 09:36:15

I've always paid half fees for school holidays with my cm. She has always happily had dd for a day or 2 during holidays if I want it as part of those half fees. When dd was smaller we definitely used a day per week over the summer holidays just to keep the relationship going and keep her used to being left with the cm.

HSMMaCM Tue 25-Oct-16 10:03:35

I think that's the point. If you're prepared to take the child during the holidays, then maybe a retainer is appropriate.

I know a CM who works term time only and doesn't charge for holidays, as she has no intention of working.

If someone came to me for term time only, they would pay full fee all year (except my holidays), as I'm open all year.

wineandsunshine Tue 25-Oct-16 10:10:39

Yes that's a good point about maintaining the relationship. So would you just explain verbally to the parents or include it on the contract that fees would be included for half terms regardless if they use them or not?

HSMMaCM Tue 25-Oct-16 13:23:03

Definitely on the contract, but also make sure parents understand.

MsMermaid Tue 25-Oct-16 13:54:59

My friend uses a cm who has 2 different rates, a high one for term time only and a lower one for all year round. Overall there is only a small difference between the 2 for a full year (the term time only one is ever so slightly cheaper). My friend is happy that she isn't being charged for something she isn't getting, but people who use the cm all year think they are getting a discount on the daily rate.

Whatever you decide I'd make sure it's written on the contract and verbally explained as well.

Maryann1975 Fri 28-Oct-16 14:13:55

I would rather not have school aged children during the holidays, so put them all on term time only contracts and then charge them a daily rate if they come during the holidays. I find it really hard work having all the little ones and then the older ones too. Trying to balance everyone's needs is hard. I do it, but it is much easier if they go to holiday club or grandparents have them for a day or whatever.
So, no I don't charge a retainer, but if you are happy to have the older ones and the parents want you to have them, then yes, charge a retainer fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now