Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

self employed nannies

(5 Posts)
user1476880616 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:01:48

HELP!
I'm a nanny that is just starting out. I'm looking to go self employed due to doing AD HOC hours for about 4/5 families a week. Are there any Self -Employed Nannies out there that can give me some advice/help on how to get this status etc. I'm totally useless when it comes to things like this and the HMRC website is really confusing and doesn't help much!
Thanks for your time, any advice is greatly appreciated!

nannynick Wed 19-Oct-16 14:28:53

The key thing is that it is AD HOC care, nothing permanent. As soon as a client want a permanent arrangement then they need to do PAYE and have you as their employee.

You would initially be registering your business as a sole trader. You would have a turnover of under £70,000 so would not get involved in VAT, so can do Cash Basis accounts. Have a look at HMRC YouTube Channel for videos about Cash Basis and Registering A Business.

nannynick Wed 19-Oct-16 20:09:50

This book is a good read. Explains how to run a small business in an easy to understand way. amzn.to/1OcKw4t

museumum Wed 19-Oct-16 20:16:37

It might be easier to call yourself something different like "flexible childcare provider" because the word "nanny" does tend to imply a certain set up which hmrc insist is treated as an employer/employee relationship.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Oct-16 21:31:11

I'm a se maternity nurse and temp/ad hoc nanny

Have been think 5yrs now

I pick and chose when and who to work for and how much I charge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now