We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need some advice on what childcare might work best for us

(6 Posts)
BlameItOnTheBogey Sun 16-Oct-16 23:03:58

Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice. We currently live abroad but may be returning in the next few months. I have two kids aged 8 and 6. We both work and we need reliable childcare arrangements - but because they kids are at school, we don't need a full time nanny. At the moment we have the perfect set up: we have a live in nanny/housekeeper who starts work early afternoon, clean and does laundry, picks the kids up from school and looks after them until we get home. During school holidays, she has them and the same if one of them wakes up ill in the morning and needs to be off school. We pay her a full time wage year around on the understanding that she works less hours during term time and slightly more during the holidays.

This is pretty much the perfect set up for us but I don't think we'll be able to replicate it in London - not least because we won't have a house big enough to have someone live in. But also, I wonder whether there are other options? What do most people do for childcare for older kids during school holidays? Are there other options? What are the chances I could find someone willing to take on such a role say from 1pm every day - do a couple of hours laundry, housework etc and then pick up the kids?

I don't really know where to start and what to consider and I guess there must be options out there that I'm not even really aware of…

Any suggestions really welcome.
Thanks!

jannier Mon 17-Oct-16 14:27:16

Most people will use either an after school club - takes children from 3 to a latest time of between 5.30 and 6 you must pick up on time - children are often at school building or nearby hall. larger groups with play sessions and snacks- a few have a homework area.
Not all open in school holidays.
Holiday clubs - often just for school hours some longer.
or childminders - collect from school take to childminders home with a few other children - small family home set up more flexible hours, some help with homework and provide dinners some only snacks and some need you to provide food. will generally have children in holidays and teacher training days - about 14 weeks a year in total.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 17-Oct-16 19:34:53

Why not have the same but live out

She's on call termtime am (paid) does housework cleaning washing etc in afternoon and then picks up dc

So a nanny /HK

BlameItOnTheBogey Tue 18-Oct-16 00:07:55

Thanks for the replies both. I'm not sure 530 pick up will work for us. I mean I aim to be home then but there are days when there is just no way it is happening. DH is the same.

Blondes, can I find something like that in London do you think? Any idea how much I would have to pay?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 18-Oct-16 08:15:00

What an uour budget. Depends if you want to pay someone to be on call incase ill or just have an afternoon nanny 2-6/7pm. Tho they may not be free full time in holidays

Can you drop off at school /breakfast club?

A nwoc will reduce costs a bit and probably be happy to have daytime free to do activities with own child

Anything 11/14gross an hour -

JoJoSM2 Sat 22-Oct-16 10:49:51

You can employ a 'part-time' nanny housekeeper - just as you described above. When you think about it, they'll probably put in 30h/week in term time and more in the hols or in case of children being ill - it's pretty much a full-time job anyway.
In terms of other types provision, people use au pairs, child minders or have an after school nanny + a separate cleaner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now