We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do you charge for over night care

(7 Posts)
pinkdaffodil23 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:22:51

Hi everyone I'm just looking for an idea as to what everyone else does when they do overnight care. Do you charge for the sleeping hours and what do you charge? I charge my usual hourly rate from when I would usually finish work until 10.30pm and then again from 6am in the morning until when I would usually start work.
I don't currently get anything for between 10.30pm until 6am, although technically I'm in charge of 3 children and should anything happen I need to take care of them. Never mind the fact I don't really get a very good night sleep when I have them overnight as I'm on guard all the time.

I'm not sure how to bring this up with my boss though as I know she won't be happy to pay any Extra. I've been there a long time and don't want to make things awkward.

I've had the children 4 nights this week plus the surrounding extra hours to my usual work hours plus all day Saturday and some of today.

We're in the Midlands if that helps.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you

I charge per hour until 11pm then £40 to cover the time until they wake up then peg hour again

yoowhoo Sun 16-Oct-16 20:46:10

I charge to 10pm then get £30 overnight charge until 6am.

Hels20 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:24:39

I pay the usual hourly rate (although it is a rare occurrence that we ask nanny to stay over). It's only happened 4 times in 2 years. I figure she is in charge and probably won't sleep well.

One of my friends paid her nanny for the pure night time - half price.

Callaird Mon 17-Oct-16 13:02:57

I charge my usual babysitting rate (£10 ph) until 11 and £30 over night until 8am when my work day starts. If the child/ten wake at all then I charge £10 and round it up to the nearest hour as there is no way I'd get back to sleep quickly once I've got up to them.

I'm live in so will do one overnight as my included babysit but not weekly!!

However, I make this clear at interview and make sure it's in my contract. You can ask her for overnight, maybe compromise on what rate you take but there's not much you can do if she says no.

As a nanny we live and learn with each position, what we will put up with or not in a job. I've been a nanny almost 30 years, the first 15 I learned a lot. Now I know what kind of family I will and won't work for and I have my own iron clad contract that I won't deviate from.

WickedGirl Sat 22-Oct-16 22:37:05

If I work a 24 hour shift, I charge a minimum of £250

thisgirlrides Tue 25-Oct-16 09:32:30

Your family are seriously taking the piss if you've done 4 overnights & all day Saturday without any extra pay. You really need to sit down and spell out your working hours and that any times parents aren't there you are working and need paying accordingly. Whilst they might not see it as working you need to remind them that just because you're 'already in the house', they aren't your children and this is your job. Sorry can't help with rates as I'm a childminder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now