Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

advice on Maternity Nurse or Nanny

(10 Posts)
jansonli Sun 16-Oct-16 11:06:49

We are having our first baby in December. My wife's parents will come over to stay with us and I will be off work for 2 weeks. So, we will have 4 adult and a new born baby.
my wife is considering hiring a maternity nurse or nanny as none of us have a lot of experience with baby. should we consider a maternity nurse or a nanny? any advice will be very helpful.

NerrSnerr Sun 16-Oct-16 11:16:22

Hi OP, your wife's parents must have some experience with babies (unless she is adopted of course). We were in a similar position without having anyone come to stay, we just learned as we went along (and asked the health visitor lots of questions). Personally I would see how you get on, with 4 adults already of might get crowded with more.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Oct-16 14:52:49

How long are inlaws staying?

Many jobs I start at 3/4w - often as dad goes back to work

TBH not much point before as kinda wasting money if you are all there

A nanny will do daytime

A mn 24hr

A maternity night nanny nights

I would prob suggest the latter. Get help for the nights and days will be easier as not so tired

A good maternity night nanny will decide a routine for your family

Also depends on your budget and how long you require help whether you do nanny or other

What area are you in and hopefully one of us can give you some agencies that are good

Florin Sun 16-Oct-16 14:58:11

They really aren't that tricky when they are little. They need to be fed and changed and cuddled. I think between 4 adults you will manage easily. Your health visitor and midwife are there to help and advise too. I really don't see the point in a nanny.

frikadela01 Sun 16-Oct-16 15:03:04

Agree with Florin that babies for the most part are fairly easy. 4 adults should be able take care of a baby. Then after that you should see how it goes. I couldn't imagine having a nanny whilst Im on maternity leave, even if I could afford one.

littlemissM92 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:10:23

Hi where abouts are you? I am a qualified nanny with lots of baby experience

jansonli Sun 16-Oct-16 20:20:04

we are in SE16, east London. we are just around Canada Water station. we will eventually need a nanny after a few months as wife will go back to work and parent will go back. any suggestion for website/agent? many thanks.

littlemissM92 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:51:55

Hi sorry I am in North Yorkshire so can't recommend any agencies in London sorry! Hope you find someone soon

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Oct-16 21:31:52

Try Eden. They seem to come recommended

CupOfJoe Mon 17-Oct-16 12:18:47

Imperial Nannies are good.
Eden too.
I've been placed with both, so I can personally recommend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now