This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding question from a mum

(10 Posts)
Youngoldmum Mon 03-Oct-16 11:18:29

Hi,

Currently pregnant with baby 2, I also have a 7 year old. Was very lucky with baby 1 and had family who looked after her until 3. I'm looking into a childminder for this baby for 3 days a week when I return to work when baby is around 8 months.
I met a childminder last week who we really liked but my only concern is her own children go to school out of the area so she will be driving them (and all the children in her care) to and from school each day, a 40 min round trip.
Is this something that would concern others or am I being a bit picky and overprotective given my lack of experience of handing over a baby?

Thanks for advice xx

Clickclickclick Mon 03-Oct-16 11:20:54

I think most childminders do a school run. It depends if the time in the car bothers you or not. Twenty minutes in the morning and twenty in the afternoon isn't that long.

aliceinapalace Mon 03-Oct-16 11:28:13

The other thing to think about is carseats. Do you provide your own or use theirs? I was a cm and provided carseats but always showed the parents them and if they preferred let them put their own in my car.

HSMMaCM Mon 03-Oct-16 14:00:38

Not all CMs do school runs, but most do. The school run is often done on the way to a toddler group or park or something. When I did school runs there was lots of singing and fun in the car. I'm sure the cm won't mind if you ask her some more questions.

yoowhoo Mon 03-Oct-16 19:01:03

Is that 20 mins in the morn and 20 mins in the afternoon? Or 40 mins in the morn and 40 mins in the afternoon? I wouldn't mind per se but i think it is quite a lot overall

Rattusn Mon 03-Oct-16 20:08:13

It isn't something to be worried about, but like others have said, I would just ask about the car seat situation.

Maryann1975 Mon 03-Oct-16 22:23:54

I'm a cm. our school run probably takes 40 mins but we walk, so fresh air and exercise. I don't think I would want to pay someone to be looking after my children to do a 40 minute school run in the car twice a day (which is the way I've read your op). I wouldn't want my children sitting in the car for that length of time, to me it's wasted time. I know others will say they are singing/playing ispy games/listening to Audio books but to me that isn't enough, I wouldn't want them, sitting sedentary for that length of time.

NuffSaidSam Tue 04-Oct-16 11:28:04

It wouldn't 'concern' me from a safety perspective as long as she had a clean driving license and properly fitted, suitable car seats.

It would put me off though, for the same reasons as Maryann. Most childminders have a school run to do, but I would much rather it was done on foot than in the car. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but if there are other lovely childminders with spaces in the same area who don't have the car journey to do then I'd go for one of those.

mouldycheesefan Tue 04-Oct-16 11:33:54

2x 40 mins? No I wouldn't want my dcs in a car for over an hour out of their day. I would keep looking. Or try a nursery then you don't have that to worry about.

Elbekind Tue 04-Oct-16 16:23:08

so to be clear OP, you mean the school is 20 mins away so at 9am 20 min drive to the school, 20 mins back home and then again 20 mins to school at 3pm and 20 min back... so 1 hour and 20 mins a day in the car? That sounds an awful lot to me and it would be a deal breaker for me personally.
I'm a childminder and my school run is 10mins each way in the car and I feel like even that is a bit much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now