Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies with own children - contract help?

(9 Posts)
mrswishywashy Sun 02-Oct-16 12:01:47

Ive just started a new nanny job, my first since my baby was born a year ago.

I'm so worried I will forget what to put in a contract specific for my child.

Eg:
If she is sick I would be fine with unpaid leave but do I add this in?
For foods I've said I'll bring ours buts in the long run would it be better to have charg and her share meals/snacks and how do I set this up fairly eg one week could I supply meals and next week employer does?
Baby equipment is fine, I've picked up a double pram.
I'd like a minimum of 25 hours work even though most weeks I'm working 33, I've done this as I'd rather be let go work early instead of staying if not really needed. But will this get confusing?

What else am I forgetting? Id really like to make this work.

NuffSaidSam Sun 02-Oct-16 13:24:47

Really they should be sorting the contract if they're the employer (although I've also had families who couldn't/wouldn't do it and so done it myself!).

Sick leave - I think unpaid leave is fair. Is the family happy with that? Or would they rather you come in? If they're happy that seems a good compromise.

Food - I think it will be too much hassle to bring food/have different meals going. I would ask them to provide all food and just knock the cost of this off your daily rate. So, maybe charge £3 a day less or £5 whatever you think will cover what she eats and she can eat with their baby.

Hours - I think saying a minimum of 25 hours is fine, but I don't think that necessarily translates to going home early if they don't need you. I would maybe phrase it as 'monthly pay will be £xx to cover 25 hours a week. Additional hours will be charged per hour at £xx rate'. If they're only paying you for the hours you're there then they'll be more likely to let you go early if they don't need you. It will complicate payslips if the monthly rate varies, but I'm sure nannytax or someone can deal with that.

What about;

if their child is sick?
who pays for activities?
what if their child wants to do something that your child doesn't like/is very expensive?
what if your child breaks something in their house?
who provides nappies/wipes etc.?

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-16 13:48:20

Food you will need to discuss and probably review every few months as the children will get older and their requirements will change. Initially I would expect that you would provide food you your own child. After a while once all children involved are on solids and eating the same things, then it makes more sense for them all to be fed the same thing... so you maybe a split on who contributes ingredients.

If your working hours will vary, you will all need to keep a good track of that, such as by completing timesheets. It causes difficulty with holiday entitlement, as the more hours you work the more hours of holiday you are entitled to take. Having minimum set hours is a good idea and contractually the holiday can be based on that, with then additional hours being added on as they occur and building up additional holiday entitlement at say 12.07% of those additional hours.

I agree that the parents really should be the ones creating the contract, their payroll provider will often provide a contract writing service.

Activities - who pays for what. If they want their child to attend a certain activity but you don't really want your child to do it, what happens then?

mrswishywashy Sun 02-Oct-16 16:22:02

Thanks, they have given be a contract but it had so many things I didn't agree with that I could sign so I said I'd source one. When I said that it was very old and not up to date the reply I got was "I haven't read it". They aren't engaging a payroll provider as they will use their accountant.

I see what you mean about hours maybe ill just leave it as is, with my own child I just thought it better if I could leave early if I wasn't needed. It also would be a money saving measure for them as it means if they don't need me at all for a week they only have to pay be for the minimum hours.

For the other questions I was going to keep a book and then whatever we discuss can be reviewed if needed. Do you think that would work for food, activities etc?

I'm moving from self employed to employed and finding it difficult to manage the change of contracts.

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-16 16:36:22

Always a good idea to keep a written record of things discussed. Could certainly have some kind of diary system in which you recorded what activities were done and what food was eaten, which could then be used to look back on over a period of time to see how things have changed.

Communication is key so you need a communication system between you and the parents that works.

They as your employer have ultimate control, so that may be something you need to adapt to if you have been used to having all the control.

mrswishywashy Sun 02-Oct-16 18:04:57

Ah, yes the lack of control I'm aware of and doing ok with, eg I'm zipping my mouth a lot unless I'm asked for advice totally different from MNing where I'm guiding.

It's more of a shared charge role but depending on day and week can be very sole charge. Maybe I could record what I make but don't feel need to do full diary as frequently see the mum.

Clairey471 Thu 17-Nov-16 13:22:52

Nannytax has a contract template for NWOC. It was very helpful

wizzywig Mon 05-Dec-16 19:19:04

In my contract the nanny supplies food for her kids. If she has time off due to the kids sickness she can take it as annual leave or unpaid. Also if her kids wreck anything then she rectifies it. Also check your insurance covers if her child gets injured in your house whether you are protected.

wizzywig Mon 05-Dec-16 19:19:57

Oh sorry ive written the above as if you are an employer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now