Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny - Going Rate for 3 under 5

(12 Posts)
mks101 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:11:36

What hourly rate should I expect to pay a full time nanny (9am - 7pm, 5 days per week) to look after our 3 children (4, 2 and 1 year old - none at school yet). We live in South East London and I understand the standard rate for a live out nanny is £10 net per hour. However, I presume this goes up depending on age and number of children? Any insights appreciated!!

AveEldon Wed 28-Sep-16 16:21:37

The price doesn't change with number of kids or age of kids
Nanny experience makes a difference

NannyR Wed 28-Sep-16 16:24:25

No there isn't any difference in hourly rate with the number and age of children.

FreeButtonBee Wed 28-Sep-16 16:25:25

I paid £13.5ph gross for 3 under 5 - which works out at just under £10.50 net for a 44 hr week. 2 are at nursery for 3 mornings a week which takes a bit of pressure off. I am in SW London

Poocatcherchampion Wed 28-Sep-16 16:26:43

We pay £10ph too in the midlands (net)

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-16 18:17:32

£12-14 gross per hour. Some applicants may want more.
Work out what you can afford, aim to pay less than your max amount, advertise the job with salary shown and see who applies.

Lots of people looking for work so you may find good candidates at around £12 gross.

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-16 18:19:50

9am start. Consider where someone lives, they will be travelling in peek rush time so is their journey reasonable?
Do they need to drive or can they get to you plus get children to activities and school (think long term) via public transport?

mks101 Wed 28-Sep-16 22:03:32

Thanks for your helpful replies. I am just concerned that 3 under 5 is quite a hard gig and that most nannies would probably prefer to look after 1 or 2 children only. Or at least have some of them at school for a large chunk of the day...

Nannynick - it's actually a 8am start (typo), but you make a good point!

FreeButtonBee Thu 29-Sep-16 14:56:06

Some nannies like to be busy, both my nannies were bored stiff with just one child. You don't need to do so many play dates (unless you want to). They actively look for twins as it's more fun (and once they are more experienced, they can charge a premium).

AveEldon Thu 29-Sep-16 14:56:21

When will your 4 year old start school?
Do they attend preschool?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 29-Sep-16 17:02:12

Some nannies like one child. Others more as get bored

Agree 3 under 5 is hard work but assume eldest goes to nursery 3/4 times a week

Work out what you can afford and offer gross - prob looking £12/13.50 gross to equal £10nett roughly

mks101 Thu 29-Sep-16 19:48:17

Thank you. My 4-year old attends pre-school 5x a week, for 2.5/3 hours a day. The other two are still at home. However, as of September next year, my eldest will start school and no 2 will do pre-school 5 mornings per week, so things might get a bit easier then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now