Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Emergency nanny-How to pay taxes

(7 Posts)
pz23 Wed 28-Sep-16 15:12:49

Hello all,
I am new here and I strongly need advices on this topic!
I am planning to use an emergency nanny for 3 days, the total to pay net is £330. Do I need to pay taxes? If yes, what is the process?
Thanks to help.
A desperate mum

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 28-Sep-16 16:06:18

Whenever I have used an emergency nanny they have been self-employed this is okay as they accept the single short term contract couple of days at a rate they determine. They have given me an invoice ( numbered) which I have paid.

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-16 18:14:33

If the nanny is not running their own business then you need to do PAYE. Some payroll companies will do very short things as a one off, try Zest Payroll.
If you intend to have a nanny again in future then some payroll companies will charge a 1yr fee but you use it up in 1 month chunks, so could pay for a year only use a month and thus have 11 months to use at another time. NannyPaye does it that way.

Are you using a nanny agency, some of them will employ the temp nanny and then subcontract them to you.

So various ways depending on the situation.

venys Thu 29-Sep-16 00:00:07

For that amount and they are not sled employed then you must pay their taxes. Granted they may not have their P45? form on them so you may need to pay them on emergency tax code. Speak to your current payroll provider if you have one (I use my current accountants). It's such a pain when it's only so temporary. Some agencies will do the tax for you though if you pay extra so worth asking??

venys Thu 29-Sep-16 00:00:24

Self not sled

pz23 Thu 29-Sep-16 16:26:14

Thank you all.
No the nanny is not self employed and to have her paidrolled by the agency will cost me twice the price.
I will try zest payroll, I hope it will not cost me a fortune.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 29-Sep-16 16:59:08

Never agree net esp for temp /emergency nanny. You may be stung for high tax

Most emergency nannies like myself are se as we flit from job to job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now