Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Health declaration for childminding - worried

(3 Posts)
FrazzleRock Wed 28-Sep-16 11:06:01

I am putting serious consideration into becoming a childminder again after 4 years out of the childcare world.

Apart from the outright cost which I have no idea how I'm going to find (childminding course, first aid, toys, equipment etc), I have a health issue that I'm worried will stop me getting registered. I am currently going through deep depression due to a missed miscarriage I had in February and the decision by my DP that we cannot try again due to financial reasons (ie paying for full time childcare in the future)
I have seeked help and have an appointment with the psychiatric nurse at my surgery next week and I am thinking about taking ADs.

The thing is, if I get into childminding again, there is a good chance we may be able to start TTC again as we won't need to pay for childcare or thousands of pounds on commuting to London everyday. But I'm worried Ofsted will see me unfit to care for children due to this illness. I'm not and I never have been unfit to care for children. I have 15 years + of experience in childcare and qualifications.

Do you think this depression will cause a problem? Childminding seems like my only way out and I miss it.

fittedcupboard Wed 28-Sep-16 11:54:48

This thread suggests that you will be fine with a letter from your doctor.

However, as a GP, I wouldn't give you a letter saying "fit to work with children" as it is too great a medicolegal risk, so you would probably be better off asking your psychiatrist. If they aren't happy to do it you may have to pay for an independent psychiatrist to do an assessment to do the letter.

good luck with everything.

FrazzleRock Wed 28-Sep-16 13:11:59

Thank you fittedcupboard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now