We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going rate for au pair in London?

(19 Posts)
Tumtitum Sun 25-Sep-16 19:02:01

We have some close family friends who live outside of the UK. Their daughter was planning on going travelling in her gap year but has now decided she would like to spend some time in London. We have a 1 year old baby and I will be going back to work soon. We have a nursery space but it will mean I hardly take home any pay after nursery fees. They have suggested that the daughter comes to stay with us and takes care of our daughter for us. We are considering this, as it will save us money, we trust her (she is 18, very mature and has younger siblings so we have seen her looking after small children before) and will also mean we see more of her and her family, who will visit! We are just trying to figure out logistics and are wondering what we should offer to pay her? She would be living with us and we would not expect her to contribute to the household and we would pay for all food etc. I am going back to work part time so she would be looking after baby 8-6 three days a week. Occasionally we may have to work late and she might have to do bedtime. We'd like to include maybe one night a week of baby sitting then any extra we would pay her extra for. Any ideas? Thanks smile

pimmsy Mon 26-Sep-16 09:14:26

Hi Tumtitum,

So you're going to need her to do sole charge three days a week from 8-6 plus an evening babysitting a week ?

That makes 30 hours of sole charge a week plus the babysitting for a one year old.

I'm not quite sure this could still be defined as an aupair role, maybe nannynick will pop in and give you his advice.

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 12:11:50

Yeah I wasn't sure what to call it really! I guess it is a nanny really but as we aren't expecting her to pay rent and bills etc I wouldn't expect to pay her as much as a nanny!

Artandco Mon 26-Sep-16 12:20:56

It's a live in nanny really, not an au pair. An au pair usually only looks after 3+ years and just a few hours after school or similar.

A full day would be full nanny wage. Live in is slightly cheaper

Live in nanny in London is around £400 a week net. Mon- Friday. All accomadation and food provided

As you need someone 3 days rather than 5, I would suggest £250 a week . You will have to pay employers tax and they will need to be paying tax etc

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 13:07:12

Wow really? That's pretty much exactly our nursery fees! I was expecting it to work out a lot cheaper!

Artandco Mon 26-Sep-16 14:31:31

Why would a live in nanny be paid pennies? They are still working 10hr days sole charge.

Like I said a live in nanny here is around £400, a live out around £550-600. So the few hundred difference per week is already recduced for allowing for accomadation

A nursery is a group setting, so several parents pay towards one persons wage. And child is cared for by several. A nanny is solely responsible, and will be the only one in charge to make decisions daily and in any emergency. Of course they are looking for a salary.

An au pair is around £100- 120 a week. But that's for someone usually with English as foreign language, who's looking for accomadation and food and language classes ( you pay those also), in exchange for 'pocket money' and working usually 3-4 hours a day maximum. They aren't expected to be to a nannies standard and mainly just keep an eye on 5-10 year olds after school, and heat up a meal you have left. They wouldn't help with homework etc usually

Callaird Mon 26-Sep-16 14:36:31

A live-in nanny on £400 per 5 day week generally has childcare qualifications and experience. My first job I got £30 a week! I only did 2 days, one week 7am-7pm the following week 7pm-7am, it was 30 years ago!

I would get her to do a paediatric first aid course so she knows what to do if anything happens. They cost around £80 which you should pay for. I would also do a long hand over, at least 2 weeks but more if possible.

You need to talk to her to see what she is expecting but I would say £180, that's £6 per hour and a pretty good wage for an 18 year old with no formal experience, you can count a babysitting in that but if you are late home you should pay her overtime or count that as your babysit.

However, you have to be aware of all the extra factors of having a live-in nanny.

Wage - you will have to employ her legally, you will have to pay her tax and national insurance and employers national insurance as well. If you can't do it yourself, you will have to pay for a company to do the tax for you, around £200 per year. On £180 it comes out to £9,805 a year. £150 is £7,821.
Heating - if she's home and a chilly mortal, the heating could be on for 30 hours a week more than if your child was at nursery.
Food - 3 meals and snacks which can come to £30-40 a week. I would put in the contract and tell her that you will pay for the basics, cereal for breakfast, sandwich or soup for lunch and main meal with you and a few snacks (you have to provide food 7 days week even though they only work 3. Clear out a shelf for her snacks/juice and tell her this is what her snacks are and once they are gone she needs to replenish herself, there a lot of threads on here about au-pairs/nannies eating the employers out of house and home so easier to have the ground rules in place from the start.
Kitty - taking your child to toddler groups, music class, gym, swimming, outings. In London these classes are pretty expensive, my boss pays £23 a week for my charges classes and swimming. Most nannies also use kitty for picking up bread, milk, dry cleaning, the occasion coffee/tea/cake even lunch out (most of us will take picnics on outings but sometimes you can't.)
Travel - my boss tops up my oyster with £20 once a month to take my charge to various places.
Gifts - you probably should buy her birthday and Christmas gifts, maybe also the occasional thank you gift. For my first Christmas here, I got a Kitchen Aid!! You obviously don't have to be quite so generous! My boss occionally buys me flowers, plants, chocolate to show her appreciation, which is really nice.
Wear and tear - it depends how clumsy your nanny is but there will be breakages. I crashed 3 cars in one job! (Only one was my fault, the other two, I wasn't even in the car but the insurance went knock for knock on both of them, my employers would not let me pay the excess on any of them and they still let me drive their cars when I look after the boys at weekends/holidays now!!) In this job, I have smashed 1 bowl, 1 plate (both Emma Bridgewater £15 each) a few glasses and the lemon juicer (but that already had a crack in it and it broke when I put it down on the work surface) all in the last 6 weeks! I have been here 2.5 years so not too bad.

That's a lot to think about! Good luck. I hope it works out in the end.

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 18:52:12

Thanks Callaird that's a lot to think about smile

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 18:53:26

Art, not expecting anyone to work for pennies, just not really thinking of her as a nanny as no qualifications etc. But yes she will have sole charge of DD which is obviously a hugely important job. Also good for thought so thanks! smile

LynetteScavo Mon 26-Sep-16 19:19:41

I'd say she is an au pair plus. An au pair usually does 25 hours over 5 days plus babysitting - she would be doing 30 hours plus baby sitting.

I don't think you have to pay someone untrained the same as you would someone who has just done a 2 year course.

But I would be hesitant to leave a child this young with an untrained 18 yo ,but that's just me.

nannynick Mon 26-Sep-16 19:23:50

A live in nanny could be paid almost anything really. As long as they are being included in family activities outside of their working hours, like you would with a member of your family, then National Minimum Wage would not apply.

30 hours sole charge care is a big responsibility... is she up to the task? Does she have enough experience of toddlers?

Perhaps look at salary as being National Minimum Wage minus accommodation offset.
An 18 year old would get £5.55 (from 1st October 2016) per hour. So £166.50 per week. Accommodation Offset is £42 per week (from 1st Oct 2016), so you could offer £124.50 per week gross. You could offer less as NMW does not apply but at least you are calculating a salary based on something.

How much do you want to pay? Maybe starting from that point would be better, as we can then look at what taxes apply to that payment and thus establish your likely total cost, or if you have a maximum amount per week week which is to include taxes, then we could work something out from that point.

Callaird has given you some idea of costs for things which will cost you to provide - a live-in nanny (or aupair) will be eating food, using the internet, taking your DD out to activities.

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 19:34:05

I think in my head I was thinking about £500, which would give her enough to do stuff during the rest of the week, although I imagine she will either get another part time job or do a course on the days I am not working.
She's very mature, and probably has more experience of toddlers than me and my husband! confused I hadn't though though, that when she would want to start DD will be older and toddling etc so again some food for thought, thanks smile
I knew MN would come to the rescue and help me think things through!

Oly5 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:41:53

OP people are being precious about the distinction between an au pair and a nanny.
I have a 19yo au pair plus who does 28 hours a week. She looks after a 2yo and gets the 5yo to school. I pay her £140pw (south east) which she's really happy with.
If your au pair is happy with what you offer her, and she gets four days off a week to explore London then what's the issue?
Yes, get her first aid trained but all sounds good to me. And actually you don't have to employ her formally if this is a cultural exchange (I've had a nanny before for 40 hours + and I DID employ her).

nannynick Mon 26-Sep-16 19:56:57

If your au pair is happy with what you offer her, and she gets four days off a week to explore London then what's the issue?

How much you pay is dependent on what they will accept. They may be perfectly happy with £120-£150 a week, or they may not. They would be delighted with £500 per week!

If you want to avoid HMRC then pay under £112 per week - at that level you don't even need to declare that they work for you as long as it is their only work.

Oly5 Mon 26-Sep-16 20:18:47

An au pair plus is exempt from HMRC rules as long as they live with you, don't earn more than £155 and have a total income under £11,000 a year (therefore no tax to pay).
Info is here www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law/au-pairs

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 20:50:47

Nanny, I meant £500 per month! Ha ha, that would be more than I earn full time never mind part time ;)
Thanks all for your contributions, yes I think it will come down to what she and her family expect as well so I think we all need to have a discussion. Keeping it under tax levels etc would be great.
Thanks all.

NuffSaidSam Mon 26-Sep-16 21:08:30

Obviously, you know this girl and none of us do, but do think about it carefully.

There is a big difference between looking after your siblings at home, in your home country, in between going to college/school etc. and being in someone else's home, with someone else's child, for ten hours a day.

There are 18 year olds who would be capable of doing a nanny role and maybe she's one of them. What stands out to me though is that she isn't doing this because she loves babies and wants a career in childcare, she just wants to be in London and this is convenient. Nursery staff (and proper nannies) have generally chosen that career because they love what they do. That makes a massive difference on days when it's raining and grey and the baby is cranky and won't stop crying.

It's your child and your choice, but there is a reason that it's recommended that au pairs don't have extended sole charge of babies.

LightTripper Tue 27-Sep-16 13:51:43

What I would think would really help her if you do go this route is having a decent budget for things like music groups, Gymboree, or whatever. My DD is a bit older (2) but does a lot of this stuff even with a nanny, and when I've been at home I've found it really helps put structure in the day - otherwise looking at entertaining a toddler all day is quite intimidating (even for a parent, or maybe that's just me!) My DD does a couple of mornings of playgroup (£15 for a 2 hour session), and a music or activity class most other days (usually £6 or £7). Having a budget for this I'm sure would make it easier for your nanny/au pair to settle in, meet new people (which will also help her arrange play dates etc.) and have some structure around the day.

FWIW my nanny is 28 but she has been looking after children for 10 years. She is very mature for her age and I think she would have been fine doing this at 18, whereas I would have been totally incapable of it. So it does very much depend on the person!

SweetGrapes Mon 03-Oct-16 09:54:01

What you pay her is probably between you and them. Just make sure you know your responsibilities regarding tax, NI etc and treat her fairly regarding acco, food, holidays.

Also definitely send her (pay for and give time to attend , plus money for lunch and travel) pediatric first aid courses (red cross, saint John's ambulance do them - sorry - no links - you will need to google). She's quite young and it doesn't take much to cause to panic. My experienced nanny was totally in a flip when my daughter walked slap bang into a lamppost and knocked out 2 of her teeth.

Also , there are some 1 day childcare crash courses - again I don't have links - you will need to google. Nannies and childminders do them sometimes when they need a certificate for ofsted registered.

Things are done differently in other places and she needs to know how to deal with cuts, nose bleeds etc, food prep, bottle making, sterilising etc. as per latest advice and not just the traditional way of dealing with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now