Advanced search

Advice needed on childminding over 5s only, thanks in advance.

(5 Posts)
flirtygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 07:49:34

Hi, Im looking at training as a childminder for the over 5s. Ive a non formal childcare background for friends and family but theres a gap in out area for wrap around care and holidays so was looking into registration. I love children and look after them already but would like to branch out to non friends and family.

Does anyone else do similar or work only with over 5s. Is ofsted and paperwork a concern or it is minimal because early years is out of the picture? Any info is much appreciated, thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Starlight234 Sun 25-Sep-16 07:56:01

You can do it..However fees for just over 5's are higher...

It would be worth going to volunteer in an after school club, as you are required to do far less paperwork for your over 5's but you do need to prove you are not just a babysitting service.

flirtygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 15:41:20


OP’s posts: |
nannynick Sun 25-Sep-16 18:51:32

I am assuming you are in England as you have mentioned Ofsted. Should you be in a different country, please say so.

The age point at which you don't need to do EYFS is not age 5. It is defined differently to that.

Early Years Register – for providers caring for children aged from
birth to 31 August following their fifth birthday; providers on this register
must meet the ‘Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage’

Childcare Register, which has two parts:
Part A: Compulsory – for providers caring for children from 1 September
after the child's fifth birthday up until their eighth birthday
Part B: Voluntary – for providers caring for children aged eight and over,
and other providers who are exempt from compulsory registration, such
as nannies.

So it would be children in Year 1 and above. You would be looking to register on the Childcare Register under Part A and Part B.

You should contact your local authority Early Years Department / Family Information Service for advice. They may offer a training course.

Read Annex C of this publication carefully:

These are of particular interest as they are to do with training/paperwork:
CR1.3 - You must have an appropriate first aid qualification.
CR2.1 - Must have a written safeguarding statement/procedure.
CR2.6 - Childminders must attend Child Protection training.
CR4.1 - Must have appropriate skills and experience.
CR4.2 - Childminders must have successfully completed a
qualification at a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to
childcare, or training in the common core skills.
CR7.3 - Must have a written complaints procedure.
CR8 - Must keep records about the children attending.
CR14.1 - Must have liability insurance.

flirtygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 07:50:36

Thank you Nsnny Nick, thats very comprehensive and given me lots to look into.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in