Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Taking on a friends nanny

(11 Posts)
tuesday123 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:11:58

I'm looking for a nanny, and someone who I work with, has given me advice about searching for a nanny. It turns out, her nanny is now available as she's going on maternity leave. I've offered the said nanny a job but on a permanent basis as I know this person thinks exceptionally high of her nanny. She wants her nanny to come back after maternity leave and the nanny hasn't ruled this option out either.
What can I do to get her? Have I been unfair on my friend?
Nannies out there - when you've been in a similar position, have you gone back to your old family having agreed to take on a permanent post?

NickNacks Sat 24-Sep-16 21:47:35

Wow, how to end a friendship in one move!

QuiteLikely5 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:52:10

It's not really fair to expect your nanny to take a temp job so she can return after your maternity!

It's not fair either for your friend to ask you to employ her only on a temp basis!

I think it's fair that you offer her a permanent job

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sat 24-Sep-16 22:00:26

I hope your friend realises her maternity leave doesn't mean she stops employing her nanny. If she doesn't want to continue to employ her, she needs to make her redundant, in which case the nanny is available to find alternative employment.

wizzywig Sat 24-Sep-16 22:04:18

Uh yes if your friend wants her back then yes its not a nice thing to do.

LyndaNotLinda Sat 24-Sep-16 22:06:15

Well I think you've behaved badly but your friend is an idiot if she thinks a good nanny is going to just take a temp job until she deigns to have her back.

The pair of you sound like twats tbh

DoomGloomAndKaboom Sat 24-Sep-16 22:22:35

Does the nanny get to gave an opinion or make her own decision here?

nannynick Sat 24-Sep-16 22:43:05

I have had employers go on maternity leave and they have still employed me to care for their children. Expensive option but it means baby gets to know me, the other children still get to do the same activities, mum gets time to rest, and when mum goes back to work I care for all the children.

If the job ends then the nanny is free to look for other work. If you employed them then they could leave you at any time, giving notice, so they could return to the previous family if they thought that job was better.

You and your friend could fall out over this, probably something to avoid unless you only want a nanny for the duration of your friends maternity leave.

NuffSaidSam Sat 24-Sep-16 22:53:55

It would probably be better for all concerned if you just find a different nanny. It's lovely that this one comes so highly recommended, but she's not the only good nanny out there.

This will work ok for 9 months/a year until your friend goes back to work, then the nanny will be in a difficult position and either you or your friend are going to be very upset.

No-one has actually done anything wrong though. If the friend can't afford to keep the nanny on then she can't afford it....it's as simple as that. That doesn't mean she can't hope that the nanny returns after ML. The nanny of course has to look for another job. The OP has offered a job to a nanny looking for work. It's not wrong as such, but it's really not the most simple way of doing things!

Is there any chance a nanny share could work long term and she could work for both of you on an increased wage?

tuesday123 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:58:53

thanks for the comments. The nanny is being made redundant hence why I think its fair to offer her a job.

JacquettaWoodville Mon 26-Sep-16 00:21:02

I think if your friend has made her redundant, it's fair to offer her a job. If you didn't, someone else would!

She may of course resign in a few months to go back, but that's a risk with anyone. What about a nanny share with your friend as per PP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now