Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to I find a childminder?

(7 Posts)
Heirhelp Mon 29-Aug-16 20:11:08

As above. I am looking for a childminder but I don't know where to start.

nannynick Mon 29-Aug-16 20:18:09

Start by finding out who is near you.

Most county councils run a Family Information Service who can provide a list of all registered childcare providers in your area.

So if you can't find details of your local Family Information Service... try using the Find Your FIS site.

Maryann1975 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:27:15

I'm a childminder. Most families I have spoken to either find me through the family information service (but these are in the minority), by word of mouth or through local Facebook recommendations (our town has a parents group where parents ask relevant questions and other parents answer them).
So, ask about. At any toddler groups you go to, ask the organisers if anyone else there is a childminder (lots of people think I'm a parent there with my own children). Any other parents you know, do any of them use Childminders?

Heirhelp Tue 30-Aug-16 10:23:25

Thanks for the tips. I don't need to place until Easter but I want childminder over a nursery as I think that 1:1 attachment and care is so important.

I will start looking around next week.

blowmybarnacles Wed 31-Aug-16 16:08:38

Dong look too early as you may be asked to pay a retainer if there is a current space to keep the space open until you need it!

fuzzyfozzy Wed 31-Aug-16 16:15:15

There's childcare.co.uk too

Heirhelp Wed 31-Aug-16 21:01:56

Thank you. When would you advise I start looking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now