This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair Welcome Pack

(8 Posts)
MAsMum Thu 25-Aug-16 15:35:57

Hi
We are getting our first aupair in October. (I'm going back to uni to retrain so we need help with kids pickups and dropoffs etc on the days that I'm at uni.)

We have never done this before so any tips or advice will be very gratefully received.

I have been reading old threads and they mentioned a welcome pack and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers as to what to include in it. Or what as a newbie to this I should or shouldn't do!

Thanks so much

HeyNannyNanny Thu 25-Aug-16 15:45:54

If your Au Pair is coming from overseas then a few traditional British things may be nice? A Creme Egg, some old fashioned sweets etc.

I'm sure a few toiletries would be helpful too. A guidebook/leaflets for your local area? A pamphlet for local clubs (art classes etc)

MAsMum Thu 25-Aug-16 15:51:42

Thanks HeyNannyNanny. She is Spanish so I don't think that she'll have had a creme egg before😉 - that's great!

I have written down all of your suggestions.

sashh Thu 25-Aug-16 16:06:57

A UK sim card.

A bus pass / oyster card.

Info about any Au Pair meet ups near by.

HeyNannyNanny Thu 25-Aug-16 16:13:05

I really want a Creme Egg now...

Salmiak Thu 25-Aug-16 16:21:31

So we generally give the au pair a pack containing

contract,

a list of house rules,

UK phone (payg),

a map of our city,

bus/train timetables,

one au pairs left a UK lonely planet guide so this has now served several au pairs,

a list of WiFi passwords, emergency contact info, details of local au pair facebook page etc,

a card the kids have made welcoming her to our family,

Some toiletries

MAsMum Thu 25-Aug-16 16:41:14

Thank you so much for all of the Recommendations at this rate which now form my must do list. I might even look as if I know what I'm doing😉 by the time she arrives.

I might have to hold off buying the sweets and chocolate until nearer the time as I suspect if I buy them now they will be well and truly eaten by October!!

Karoleann Fri 26-Aug-16 07:25:12

Love the creme egg idea!

I leave flowers and toiletries in her room.
Our au pair bible, which has house rules, instructions for operating stuff (like washing machine), details of what to do in an emergency, a sheet on basic safety around kids. Train timetable. Ideas of things to do locally.

A to Z of London and a guide book. An oyster card with a bit of money on it.

A few fiction books.

Keys to the house

I get her phone sim card sorted usually on the day she arrives.

Hope she settles in well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now