Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do I pay my nanny when I take holiday (notified in advance)?

(22 Posts)
LegstarPegstar Mon 22-Aug-16 11:07:14

Hello, I have a nanny that I pay weekly and payslips are generated through nannytax. I took a week's holiday last week, do I pay her? I think not but wanted to double check! Thanks in advance.

PotOfYoghurt Mon 22-Aug-16 11:10:21

What does your contract say regarding holidays?

NannyR Mon 22-Aug-16 11:11:04

Ermm... Yes of course you do!

Ditsyprint40 Mon 22-Aug-16 11:11:46

Yes! She didn't choose for you to take holiday and still has bills to pay.

NannyR Mon 22-Aug-16 11:20:03

Imagine how it would work if your boss said "I'm taking a holiday next week, the office will be closed so I'm not paying you", as the poster above said she still has bills to pay.

Jinxxx Mon 22-Aug-16 11:24:49

Almost certainly yes. Your contract should cover how much paid holiday she gets per year. Unless it has changed very recently, the legal minimum is 28 days. It is usual for the nanny to choose half and the employer to choose half or to have an agreement up front (such as each party chooses two weeks and it is mutually agreed that there will be a week off at Xmas/New Year and all bank holidays off). If the employer chooses to take more holiday, they still need to pay the nanny, though they can ask her to still come in to work and do reasonable nursery duties. Many nannies do get more than the legal minimum as paid leave. This should not definitely not be a surprise to you at this point as her leave allowance and arrangements for booking leave should have been agreed before she accepted the job, and the agreement documented in your contract.

nannynick Mon 22-Aug-16 11:47:32

Yes, contract will usually have a stated holiday entitlement for your nanny. You can agree with them that they take the time off as part of their paid holiday entitlement.
Check wording in contract, some let the nanny choose 50% of holiday and parents to choose remainder.

Yerazig Mon 22-Aug-16 12:40:18

Why on earth would you think you would not pay her. You do realise nannies are like EVERY other employed person, we are entitled to holiday pay. And obviously we must not have bills mortgages rent etc to pay.

doctoratsea Mon 22-Aug-16 13:54:52

See here www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

microscope Mon 22-Aug-16 14:09:04

Usually you choose half the hokiday and she chooses half. If you take more than half her holoday allowance you eithe give her extra paid leave or if you're really tight you make her come in and do tidying . You only don't pay her if she has requested, and you have agreed to, extra unpaid leave.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Mon 22-Aug-16 14:11:27

WTF? Of course you pay her.

DollyBarton Mon 22-Aug-16 14:16:40

Yes, you will always have to pay her unless she asks for unpaid leave over and above her entitlement. Hopefully these days can be considered part of her paid leave and not extra paid leave on top of her entitlement because you have decided you don't need her. In our house my nanny gets 2 weeks paid of her choice and two of mine. Though we actually decide together when to take the weeks of my choice and I factor in her partners work situation too.

NerrSnerr Mon 22-Aug-16 14:20:55

Of course you do! Do you really think you can pick and choose when you pay an employee! I couldn't imagine turning up to work and being told I won't be working the next week so won't be paid unless on a 0 hour contract.

Blingygolightly Mon 22-Aug-16 14:35:46

Am a bit shocked! You do realise you're an employer right? With the same legal obligations as the company/person that employs you? Did you get paid for your week off by your employer?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 22-Aug-16 20:48:50

Course you pay her

You have decided to go away. That's not her fault. She has bills to pay

Assume you have a contract? What does it state in there

Most nanny contracts say 50/50 choose the holiday but if the employer goes over their choice the nanny still gets paid

Blingygolightly Mon 22-Aug-16 20:55:48

Ooh hello Blondes! <Big waves> How are you lovely?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 22-Aug-16 21:13:05

'Waves back' yeah doing ok. How's you? Is that a nc? blonde

Blingygolightly Mon 22-Aug-16 21:19:05

Oh shoot! Yes, I changed it after the nutty teenager rampaged last year. I normally change it back when I post on these boards. Its Nov...wink

insancerre Tue 23-Aug-16 07:32:59

Of course you pay her
Can you imagine the answer if you said to Sky " I'm going on holiday for a week, so I won't have to pay for that week as I won't have watched any TV"

harshbuttrue1980 Fri 26-Aug-16 17:35:51

No, don't pay her. Just let her starve for the week. Are you being serious???

Avebury Fri 26-Aug-16 17:44:40

Omg - I hope you are a better employer in real life than you sound from this question or you will soon be looking for a new nanny I'm sure. I assume you will be paid by your employer for last week so why on earth should it be any different for your employee?

sparkleglitterdaisy Fri 26-Aug-16 17:47:40

Yes- you have to pay her . Shocked you have to ask actually .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now