Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

carseat for nanny's car

(8 Posts)
jclm Sun 21-Aug-16 20:53:25

We have just hired a wonderful nanny.

I will buy a car seat for her car. My kiddies will be in her car for 5 minutes, twice a week.

What is the done thing here? Should I order the car seat online and just give it to her to put in herself? Or I could watch the Youtube video and show her how to do it? Obviously sending her to Halfords would be the better option, but more expensive as we have to pay for her time and her mileage which would cost quite a lot (1-2 hours and then quite a few miles driving). We are quite skint at the moment. Just wondering what other nanny families do?

NannyR Sun 21-Aug-16 21:02:27

I would order one online (check first that it is definitely compatible with the nanny's car) then either you fit it or let the nanny fit it. Nannies usually have lots of experience of fitting different types of carseats safely, due to the nature of the job.

If the children won't be spending that much time in her car and money is tight, what about swapping the seats from your car to the nanny car?

NickNacks Sun 21-Aug-16 21:51:30

Unless you're going to fit it every time then the nanny will need to learn how to do it won't she?

Ilovewillow Sun 21-Aug-16 22:05:23

If you have an experienced nanny they have usually dealt with a number of car seats so she can probably do it herself! Our nanny worked for two families so was swapping car seats in and out a lot! She didn't drive our children a lot so used our seat, we didn't buy an extra! I helped her put the seat in a couple of times so I was confident that it was safe and she took it from there!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 21-Aug-16 22:26:04

A professional nanny should know how to fit a car seat in. If she didn't know /was a different model then used to then I would expect her to google /YouTube to find out

Blue4ever Sun 21-Aug-16 22:30:05

If you order it from kiddicare they usually have a YouTube video to show how to fit it and the car seats are affordable.

microscope Sun 21-Aug-16 22:35:24

I used to put it in myself when she arrived at us. But I'm paranoid about car seats. Wouldn't send her to buy it! Britax two way elite is an excellent extended rear facing one that easily moves between cars.

doctoratsea Mon 22-Aug-16 15:47:33

Also make sure her car insurance provider is notified that she intends to use her car while on duty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now