Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I find babysitting work?

(7 Posts)
MeadowHay Thu 18-Aug-16 18:09:45

Not sure if this should be posted here or in employment, sorry. I'm a student and I'm looking for some kind of part-time work alongside my studies. I adore kids and have experience with my younger cousins and DH's younger cousins, but not formal experience. DH actually worked as a nanny abroad from last Sept-June and really liked it too!

How would I go about trying to find babysitting work? I know my chances are slim as I don't have formal childcare experience, I don't drive, and I can only take things that fit around my studies, but I'd still like to look into it. I signed up to findababysitter.com but there doesn't seem to be that much up on there, and I signed up to care.co.uk and it won't let me message anyway unless I pay for premium if I understand correctly. Any other tips?

KayJBee Thu 18-Aug-16 18:14:56

Card local shop windows, post on local facebook pages (try local mums/kids type pages or local selling sites), put an add on gumtree. Tell everyone you know to tell their friends if they have children. Apart from our nextdoor neighbour, I've always found babysitters through word of mouth.

MeadowHay Thu 18-Aug-16 19:33:00

Thanks, great ideas! I've just made an account on childcare.co.uk as well, although I don't want to pay £20 a month so it's only let me message on person so far :S

soundsystem Thu 18-Aug-16 19:37:09

Check if there's a Facebook parenting group for your area and post on there? Then if you get a couple of bookings people can recommend you and word might spread?

Lagirafe Thu 18-Aug-16 19:41:39

I have found a couple of babysitters I use regularly on Childcare.co.uk
I had to sign up for 1 month to contact them initially but it was a good investment!
So you might find that parents contact you on there and I think then you are able to reply free of charge. Good luck!

GodImbored Thu 18-Aug-16 19:42:32

I have always used gumtree - put an ad myself and responded to add.

MrsFogi Thu 18-Aug-16 19:45:25

Post on the relevant section of mn local and on net mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now