Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do nannies want to work long hours or are there done that would be happy with 35?

(12 Posts)
Treetopchallenger Thu 18-Aug-16 17:36:30

I'm looking to start teacher training next year and would need a nanny for term time only. My husband works shifts so could be there for some mornings so wouldn't be worth paying a nanny for this time. Would this interest a nanny? Also they may work more hours one week and less another but would be paid 35 hrs per week (term time only).

For example week one they may work 7:30- 5:30 for 4 days and then 12:00-5 the fifth day.

Week two may be 12-5:30 for three days only.

If hours fall less than 35 over the month they can add on the hours into any shift of their choosing and do children's laundry, clean toys etc or babysitting.

Hels20 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:10:57

I think you have to ask whether someone can afford to live on the salary you are offering. And the fact it is term time only - how will they live when it is holiday time? It would seem inconsistent to me but I am not a nanny just someone who employs one.

The thing is - I can't see it suiting a student or anyone else because of the inconsistent hours each week (ie they couldn't fit it in between another job).

I think it also depends where you live. If in London - you mayfind someone but I expect it will be hard and if you do find someone, they may well only be doing it as a stop gap until they find something with more consistency.

I don't think it's the number of hours you are offering so much as the fact it is term time only and inconsistent

wizzywig Thu 18-Aug-16 20:12:38

From what ive heard, teacher training is really hard so you may need to increase the hours to take into account assignments that need to be done

microscope Thu 18-Aug-16 21:06:50

Essentially you are wanting them to keep the whole week free but be paid for less hours, on different days each week so they can't get another job. To find someone who will do this I think you'll need to pay substantially more than the hourly rate, as a type of retainer for the whole week and to make up for their lack of ability to earn money in the holidays.

Maryann1975 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:49:03

I used to be a nanny who was completely happy doing 20 hours a week over three days. It suited me and dh perfectly at the time.
It wouldn't have bothered me doing 35 hours a week or term time only, but I wouldn't want your job because it is so changeable. I like knowing what I'm doing each week, and set hours and would hate 5 full days this week and 3 short days next week and trying to make up hours week to week. I think you might need to pay slightly more of an hourly rate to make it more attractive to prospective nannies.

microscope Thu 18-Aug-16 22:11:09

Yes and you'd probably need to pay for the maximum you need - any you don't use the nanny gets as paid time off

Weetkitchen Fri 19-Aug-16 20:43:09

Aupair.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Aug-16 21:10:47

I'm happy working 30/36 hrs a week but like it on set days so if I did went to earn a little extra would do ad hoc

If you need someone to be free every day all day you will need to pay to reserve it iyswim

Good luck

NuffSaidSam Fri 19-Aug-16 23:33:56

The number of hours won't be a problem.

The problems will be;

-it's term time only
-the hours are really inconsistent
-you don't seem willing to be flexible to make-up for the awkward, inconsistent hours (making them come in and clean toys because over a month they may have had a couple of free hours just screams TIGHT!)

jkdnanny Sun 21-Aug-16 10:55:24

I think you need to guarantee hours of 35hrs per wk(or what ever hours you will think you will need on average) and pay that whether she works it or not. She shouldn't be asked to bank hours or add them to another shift.

Even though you're only asking her for 35hrs a wk max, you're expecting her to keep the whole wk free for you to pick and choose when she works.

EnquiringMingeWantsToKnow Sun 21-Aug-16 11:01:36

Term time only should be possible, because it should be pretty simple for them to pick up a holiday hours job. Part time is also doable, there might be any number of reasons why someone doesn't want to work the normal 50 hour week. But I agree with everyone else that the inconsistency of number and timing of hours worked will be a huge negative. I just can't see why anyone would want to take that job if they had any alternative.

ChablisTyrant Sun 21-Aug-16 11:07:03

Plenty of nannies with their own school aged children would love term time only.

Beware - on teacher training courses you usually go into uni on school holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now