This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ending nanny contract

(5 Posts)
nannynotsure Thu 18-Aug-16 17:18:06

Hoping to get some advice on the correct procedure to follow. We have a part time nanny but due to a change in DH and my work we will no longer need her for half of her current hours.

The loss in income means we can't really afford to keep her at all and the DC are old enough to go to nursery now but I'm wondering if employment law means we have to keep her position open for the hours that DH/I are not covering ourselves.

snowgirl1 Thu 18-Aug-16 17:22:58

How long have you had your nanny?

Cindy34 Thu 18-Aug-16 17:34:27

The position of nanny for those working hours is redundant. Follow redundancy procedure, ACAS.org.uk will have info on that. I think it is: talk to them about the possible change. Inform them that they have been selected for redundancy as their role is redundant and they are the only one doing that role. Write to them with details of it being redundancy and last date of work.

If there is a new role, then offer them it. Up to them if they accept the new role, or take redundancy.

nannynotsure Thu 18-Aug-16 18:58:18

The nanny has been with us 1 year. I need to find out if the local nursery has places but presumably if we make her redundant we can't hire a replacement otherwise it wouldn't actually be redundancy. Can you make someone redundant just for certain hours?

RNBrie Thu 18-Aug-16 19:01:57

She's been with you less than two years so has no redundancy protection anyway.

Do you have a company that do your payroll? They'll be able to advise.

What is the notice period in your contract? Assuming it's a month, you give her a months notice of the change in her hours. She then decides if she wants to keep your job or leave. I don't think it's a redundancy question if you're just reducing her hours, it's a change in terms and conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now