This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Food safety

(4 Posts)
Maryann1975 Mon 15-Aug-16 15:09:08

I've decided I need to do a food safety course (I'm a childminder) and although I know it isn't compulsory, it is good practise and I'm trying to move into doing things because they a best practise rather than just the basics of everything.
So, has anyone done a food safety course recently online, can you recommend the course. I've had a quick look on the Internet, they seem to range from £10 i saw £69. Are they all pretty similar or are the more expensive ones a better qualification? What is the standard I am looking for? Is there a recognised body (for example ofsted grades education places, is ther similar for food safety qualification companies?).

glenthebattleostrich Mon 15-Aug-16 15:12:20

I do the level 2 food hygiene with virtual college. Think it's about £20. Ofsted were happy with it.

Food Standards Agency also do an allergy awareness course which was free last time I looked.

HSMMaCM Mon 15-Aug-16 16:29:34

Environmental health always ask when my last food safety course was, so I always keep it up to date. Our local authority runs courses, does yours?

Maryann1975 Mon 15-Aug-16 18:44:12

No, they used to, but it seems to have disappeared around the time they introduced paying for all our own courses. (I'm wondering if there is so much competition it isn't worth them running it?). At least I would know I was doing the right one if I did the LA one.
I will have a look at the virtual college, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now