Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

A question for babysitters or parents who use babysitters

(25 Posts)
yoowhoo Sun 14-Aug-16 11:51:44

Do you expect parents to have the right change to pay you?
Parents, would you ask for change?
So for example, babysitter is owed £26 would you as for change from a £30?
Just after some opinions please. Thanks

expatinscotland Sun 14-Aug-16 11:55:32

I'd expect the parents to have the right change.

GastonsPomPomWrath Sun 14-Aug-16 11:55:57

I would always have the correct money, we work it out beforehand and wouldn't expect change.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 14-Aug-16 11:57:33

I'd expect the right money or to be told to keep the change. I don'the bring a purse full of change with me when I babysit.

wizzywig Sun 14-Aug-16 11:57:48

No i wouldnt ask for change. But we generally round up to the nearest fiver or tenner. I guess it could be different if you were paying for £26 of babysitting with a £50 note

MrsGsnow18 Sun 14-Aug-16 11:59:13

Either have the correct money ( agreed price before hand) or I'd let them keep the change ( within reason obviously, few £)

NickNacks Sun 14-Aug-16 12:05:13

If i was given £30 i would assume it was a tip. I don't carry change around like a market trader.

microscope Sun 14-Aug-16 12:23:09

I usually round up.

yoowhoo Sun 14-Aug-16 13:08:47

Thanks. I babysit last week and the amount was £46 and they asked for change. I was a bit taken aback because it's never happened before and I don't normally have my purse on me. luckily I had it that day and just happened to have some change! I just wanted to check if it was common or not as I'd never had it before and wondered if I should start having change on me!

expatinscotland Sun 14-Aug-16 13:11:56

'I babysit last week and the amount was £46 and they asked for change.'

They are tight. Next time they'll be asking you to clean their house or iron once the kids are in bed.

ImperialBlether Sun 14-Aug-16 13:12:44

I used to babysit for Sitters and nobody ever asked for change. One person did pay the exact money (can't remember how many pounds it was, but 20p was involved) but that only happened once. No difference between how much money the family seemed to have, either - nobody asked for change.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 14-Aug-16 13:27:08

I never ever ask for change - always round up to the nearest tenner. Asking for £4 back when you were obviously there hours is beyond tight. I wouldn't sit for them again

Yerazig Sun 14-Aug-16 14:50:15

I never carry a purse full of change I expect parents to have the right amount or like above if it was for example £28 just rounded up within reason.

asg198 Sun 14-Aug-16 16:00:19

A family I babysat for always paid me exactly. So if 3 1/2 hr would pay me £31.50 they did go by which half hr it was nearest to see if they owed me half hr or full hr and had always worked it out on the way home and would have the right change or ask for change. If I didn't have it (which I never did as the money from the babysit would be the only cash I had, always use card for everything else) they would say oh ok you can owe it to us off next times babysit so next time I would get £3.50 less than owed as already paid for it or I would say they could owe me so would get extra £1.50 the next time.

Maryann1975 Sun 14-Aug-16 19:03:37

I think they were being tight. When I used to babysit the majority of parents would round it up to the nearest £5 or £10, one family used to always round up to the £10, they were really generous and always left the best snacks etc too. One family were really tight and would pay me to the nearest 5p, using small change to get there. Used to really bug me being paid in silver coins (I know it's all money but it does feel they are taking the mick a bit).

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 14-Aug-16 20:44:36

The parents know what they owe you. They either have the right money it owe

As I'm £10ph it's easy to give me the right money

pinkandsparkly Sun 14-Aug-16 20:56:24

I babysit through sitters and most people round up to nearest £5. Some do round up to the next pound and one family made me wait while they ran round the house searching for change before raiding their kid's money box to count out the exact pence they owed me! I can't remember the amount but it was something like £28.75 and they couldn't possibly give me £30 or even £29.

I never offer change though, The parents know exactly what the fee will be when they book me. If paying the exact amount is that important then they have time to sort it before they pay me. I understand that paying a babysitter really adds on to the cost of a night out but that should be factored in before they book me not at 12.30am when it's time to pay me.

Most parents are lovely though and pay what they owe me without making me feel awkward.

Audreyhelp Mon 15-Aug-16 17:55:17

I never give change even if I have it they know how much I will be . So tough if they have to give me a few pounds more . obviously if they owed me 40 and only had fifty I would give them change.
I once babysat and they asked me for a donation if I had a hot drink . They had a massive house too.

headinthecloud Mon 15-Aug-16 18:54:13

Donation for a hot drink!!!!

Elbekind Tue 16-Aug-16 14:31:46

I've babysat for hundreds of families since I was about13 for a lot of my mum's friends, the children I nannyed for and now as a childminder, the childminding children's parents.
Parents have always a) had the right change or b) told me to keep the change.
I would be a bit put out if they asked me if I had change, although it hasn't happened once... the change was about 25p hmm
It really does put you off a bit, and gives you the impression that you aren't being appreciated.

suit2845321oie Tue 16-Aug-16 18:13:21

I sometimes round up and sometimes I do ask for change. If it's a babysitter I know well or I like I will give a bit more. If I'm indifferent to them or have just met them I pay exactly or round up to the £. It's not being tight, I just don't pay over what was agreed unless I want to just as I don't pay my hairdresser over and above or my cleaner over and above or a restaurant over and above unless I feel it's warranted.l

yoowhoo Tue 16-Aug-16 18:44:11

Thanks for all your opinions. I think most of you have hit the nail on the head really. They know how much we cost so they should have it ready. It annoyed me because they said 'don't worry if you don't have the change we will knock it off the next time you babysit' which I just felt was silly. They booked me for set times, knew my rate and were not late back so they should have known how much to pay me.
suit the thing is, we're not asking to be overpaid, just that we are given the right amount. It's a bit awkward faffing about with change at midnight when I just want to be in bed.
I'm in shock at someone asking for a hot drink donation!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 17-Aug-16 08:21:24

None of us are asking to be overpaid - you know in your head if 3/4hrs out and can work out what payment is

Have the right money to give bs

A Donation for a hot drink !!!!! Wtf

HSMMaCM Wed 17-Aug-16 14:19:14

DD always has change ready to give, but has always been told not to worry. She has always been told what she can have to eat and drink (usually anything she can see). She asks in advance if they can pay by bank transfer though, as she prefers this. Generally the exact amount is transferred.

Audreyhelp Thu 18-Aug-16 22:16:15

I told them I didn't have a hot drink so no need to donate. If you don't want to tip have the right money . It does make me smile though the people that don't round up a couple of quid very mean .
I work for sitters and the client can read reviews on the sitter but I would love to leave the parents a review so other sitters can read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now