Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Want to study to work on nursery! Can you help?

(3 Posts)
Mumof3cheeky Fri 05-Aug-16 15:03:47

im currently at home with my 3rd dc and will have 2 mornings off from september as he will start preschool so would like to start studying towards working in a nursery eventually. Im not british so my A level qualification might have to be certfied or translated or would you recommend i did my GCSE in math and english? Im completely new to this but had a look on a job site to see what they are looking for in nurseries a lot of them prefer young apprentice while doing an nvq course. Inwill have 3 mornings from jan for studying. What is the best qualifaction to get and how can i do it while still at home with dc?

nannynick Fri 05-Aug-16 17:17:46

The only childcare course to do now is the Early Years Educator. It comes in various Pathways, so there are different routes to obtaining the qualification. I would look specifically at: Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator).
You will need to be working/volunteering in a childcare setting (350 placement hours).

I would talk to a local college and/or your local Early Years department at the county council. The pre-school manager is also worth chatting with, as they may be able to offer you a volunteer placement.
Your A-level from abroad may be fine as evidence that you have sufficient educational background, may be up to training provider as to what they accept. So I would make contact first before looking at doing GCSEs that you may not need.

Mumof3cheeky Fri 05-Aug-16 21:34:52

Thanks very much. I think i might just go down the route of doing the gcse from sept as i don't think i could start any placement this year anyway with 2 hrs free for 2-3 days a week then from the following year he will be at preschool every day for at least 3 hrs so i could possible start an apprenticeship then. I wonder if i would limit my options if i just had the certified documents of the foreign papers. It's all quite exciting tho thinking about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now