This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would I be able to find a cleaner/babysitter in one?

(9 Posts)
longestlurkerever Thu 04-Aug-16 15:05:01

I need childcare for 2-3 afternoons a week. Really this job would just involve fetching the youngest from nursery after lunch and putting her down for a nap, then fetching the older one from school and minding them both for a couple of hours, ferrying them to after school activities, playdates etc. The job would more be chauffeur than anything. Would it be reasonable to expect someone to do some cleaning or ironing while the younger one is napping and the older one is at school? What would this job be called and what kind of person would be interested in it? It feels like more of an au pair role than qualified nanny role but I'd prefer not to have someone live in. Nannies and cleaners round here both seem to charge about £10-12 an hour, but nannies would generally expect much longer hours and be your employee, whereas a cleaner would do a few hours a week for several different families.

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 04-Aug-16 15:06:18

Mothers help?

longestlurkerever Thu 04-Aug-16 15:12:23

I'd not be in the house though - the person would be in sole charge. Maybe that is a nanny role but I wouldn't be expecting much in terms of educating them etc - just fetching them and taking them to their swimming lessons and what not, and being in the house while the younger one is asleep.

MrsFogi Thu 04-Aug-16 19:47:37

I'd post the role on mn local, nmums and gumtree and hopefully you'll find someone. No need to define it as a "nanny"/"au pair"/"mother's help" it's a job you're offering, at a certain price and hopefully will suit someone you like.

NuffSaidSam Thu 04-Aug-16 20:28:57

It's the role of nanny/housekeeper, but that sounds a bit grand for three afternoons a week.

I'd maybe go with nanny/mother's help or afternoon babysitter to describe it - you will need a heading for your ad so it is useful to have a label for the job.

You will almost certainly have to be the employer though because you're setting the hours, it's a regular arrangement, they can't send someone else in their place etc. (these are all 'tests' of employee/self-employed status). There will be plenty of people happy to do this for cash in hand. That's wrong though. And it would be you and not them that got the fine for dodging your tax responsibilities.

GinAndOnIt Fri 05-Aug-16 10:32:53

I think you would need to advertise for a nanny, as presumably your younger child could drop naps at any point, and would need entertaining before school pick up. I think your best bet is to advertise for a nanny but specify on the advert that there is the option for some nursery duties during nap time for extra money.
So you could say, 3 day nanny needed for 6 hours per day (or whatever) with some housekeeping if willing. £8-£10p/h depending on role.
You don't want to rule out a fantastic nanny who hates cleaning before they've even finished reading the advert IYSWIM. Then if you're saving money on the nanny rate, you could hire a cleaner for 3 hours a week to do a blitz.

longestlurkerever Fri 05-Aug-16 11:13:00

Thanks all. Helpful ideas,

nannynick Fri 05-Aug-16 12:07:57

Agree a gross salary then your main costs are Gross Salary + Employers NI (there may not be much as each job gets an NI allowance) + payroll admin (a nanny payroll company like NannyPaye will cost around £180 per year). Then it does not matter if the person has other income or not, you are fixing your costs.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Aug-16 17:08:03

You want an afternoon part time nanny - you can add in as that some light cleaning is wanted

Some will clean. Many won't so if you don't find what you want then change the ad and advertise for a nanny and then a cleaner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now