Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying the CM

(67 Posts)
Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 18:36:42

I was just wondering as I'm still awaiting payment from parents 4 weeks later, how many of you feel childcare is a big bill & it's like paying mortgage,rent, phone bill, gas & electric etc??

Do a lot of parents if a month is tight knock the childminder & then play catch up? Or do you always make sure you have it aside?

Just feeling very under appreciated & now I'm waiting to purchase sons new school uniform whilst the parents are enjoying their holiday.

I've chased 4 times now & it's so frustrating. I can't imagine them being too pleased if they hadn't been paid from work.

This thread is a bit of a rant, I'm sorry. I just need to know in all honestly if this is going to happen a lot & then see what I can do to fix it. I hate being the nagging woman leaving messages & texting constantly. It puts me in a really crap position & I just wished they would pay on time angry

MidnightVelvettheSixth Thu 28-Jul-16 18:41:53

For me, childcare is a paramount bill. I'd rather not pay the electric than keep the childminder waiting as I have to interact with her every day & I wouldn't want any awkwardness. Plus if I didn't pay her, she is perfectly entitled to refuse to have the DC & then what would I do when I need to get to work.

I pay her on payday every month without fail, she is on Babys Days & has a notice on the front page that childminding is her income that she needs to pay the mortgage & her bills. She also charges fees if payment is late.

Is it lots of people OP or just one? I'd be tempted to say that you can't have the child if your fees are not paid.

SoHereItIs2016 Thu 28-Jul-16 18:46:33

Well Ive never. Used a CM but in 9'years and counting of using nurseries and after school provision I have never ever been late in paying.

For me it's one of our most important outgoings after our mortgage, but more importantly it's a matter of respect and appreciation!!

We also have a dog walker and we have never been late in paying her either for the same reasons.

You don't need to put up with this, write to all the intents and instigate a penalty clause and then enforce it!!

SpaceKablooie Thu 28-Jul-16 18:47:17

Gosh, of course it's an important bill, and the CM is likely to need the £ to pay their bills.

I think you should think about changing your contract to introduce late fees. And also whether you should continue to work for this family - if they can't afford childcare one month, how likely are they to be able to afford 2x lots of childcare the next month?

DonkeyOaty Thu 28-Jul-16 18:49:31

Has the child been coming during the period of non payment, because they'll be building up to two months in arrears very soon and that would make me very nervous.

wowbutter Thu 28-Jul-16 18:51:24

I have never paid a childcare bill late, ever. That's the height of rudeness.
If I ever did, it would be out of error, and one reminder would have me apologetically doing it.

Are you charging them? My nursery charged 7% per week of non payment.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 28-Jul-16 18:52:14

I would charge a late fee and give a warning. I pay our minded upfront. That's a disgrace

PrincessIrene Thu 28-Jul-16 18:53:25

Childcare for me is my number 3 bill. Our rent comes first, then council tax. We need a home and to pay council tax so we don't go to prison. After that childcare is first - we employ our nanny and I honestly can't imagine anything worse than being responsible for somebody else's financial struggle.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 28-Jul-16 18:53:40

Childcare always paid on time. Well ok mostly because sometimes I'm shit and forgot but tbf the month we didn't pay at all the cm didn't notice either and it was us who asked her to check!

Do you have any kind of security? I've had one childminder who took a deposit and then charged in arrears but if we'd been persistently late or non payers she would have been able to give us notice and keep the deposit. The next one charged us the month in advance, if we hadn't paid we'd have been turned away.

Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 18:55:20

Most my families are wonderful & pay on time. Sometimes early. These parents have always been a little flakey, but always have paid when reminded. I feel like a mug because it's the holidays now & one is a teacher so no child are required. Hence why I feel they think they don't have to pay me as I don't have their child. There next invoice is now due.

Your all right regarding sorting my policy out for late Fee's! I'm going to do that this weekend so it's all ready for September.

I'm just amazed how they feel it's acceptable.

harverina Thu 28-Jul-16 18:56:20

We have also never paid our cm late.

I am a part time cm and I only accept payment by bank transfer on the same day each month - doesn't have to be the same date for each parent because I don't rely on the money to pay my mortgage (I rely on the money though!).

Or old cm would only accept payment on the 1st of every month and asked that a standing order be set up.

If they don't pay you should look for other kids. If someone was 4 weeks late paying me I wouldn't even give them notice.

Mozismyhero Thu 28-Jul-16 18:57:29

So inconsiderate of them. It's your wages. My CM payment goes out on a direct debit each month so she doesn't have to chase me for payment. Maybe this would be a better option for you in future?

pitterpatterrain Thu 28-Jul-16 19:00:10

We have paid late when a DD/SO stopped and we didn't realise as we had set it to expire and had forgotten, apart from that no-

As a PP mentioned I would be too worried they would refuse to take DD as we pay month upfront (so by 29/30 for the next month), so if we didn't pay they could easily say no to take her

Maryann1975 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:02:49

I do not get why people think it's ok to pay the childcare bill late. I wouldn't be continuing to look after the child if the bill was over due by more than a day or so. Shows complete disrespect to the childcarer, especially when it is a childminder or nanny who rely on the income to survive. (Not saying it's ok for a nursery but I imagine the is a bigger safety net as the buisness is bigger). If your childcarer refuses to look after your child you can't go to work, so next month won't be paying the morgagte either. And I'm sure word would soon get round if bills aren't paid, to warn other childminders not to take the family on.

MidnightVelvettheSixth Thu 28-Jul-16 19:02:59

Just a thought, do they think that they don't have to pay you during the holidays as you are not having the child? Its seems a bit daft but you never know...

calamityjam Thu 28-Jul-16 19:04:32

I used to pay my childminder weekly on a Friday. The way i felt is that if I didn't pay her she couldn't look after my kids and I couldn't earn money to pay my other bills. The weekly pay thing was her idea, but suited me perfectly as I hate handing over huge amounts of money at once and worry about being short.

SpaceKablooie Thu 28-Jul-16 19:04:36

I'm slightly confused now - are you contracted to look after their child in both term time and the holidays?

Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 19:08:08

Thank you so much for all your replies. I really wished I had taken a deposit. I have on others. It's my own stupidity but after going back from Mat leave, I think I was so happy to meet nice family in great jobs, that when they said they need to pay last cm for last month so they were unable to pay an upfront amount I was stupid & thought well that's not a problem really.

Luckily DP has good job & earns enough to keep roof over our heads & food & his car but I am meant to pay household bills with the money I get & Things like money to take DC out in the holidays, or buying uniform, or hair cuts etc y'know. Just to be able to have money to get anything when needed is what the money is for. Plus to run my car. Just wish they thought about the knock on affects.

Lesson well & truly learnt! Think I may need to find a new family! Shame. Little one is a joy & settled so well.

Artandco Thu 28-Jul-16 19:11:52

I would be add I g late fees and termination rapidly to contracts

Payment date 1st month.
10% of fees to be payed additionally for every 24hrs payment is late
If no fees received by the end of 7 days, termination of childcare.
Take 6 weeks deposit upfront to cover those last weeks of no payment before next child arrives.

Actually I would probably get all childcare paid upfront also. Most childminders here ask for 6 weeks deposit, which is held incase of no payment and returned when childcare finished like you would with renting a house. Then ask additionally for first month upfront. That way you havent provided a service if they don't pay.

Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 19:12:03

No the child is term time only, so I work 4 weeks then get paid. So last invoice I have to them 4 weeks ago for the 4 weeks prior hasn't been paid & the invoice I hand over this week is for the. 4 weeks prior to that. So all hours when I did have the child. I don't charge for holidays so there's no confusion there. They literally pay for the hours I've had their child. Does that make any sense?

Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 19:15:40

So effectively it's 8 weeks pay due end of this week for the 8 weeks before the summer hols.

Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 19:18:33

Thank you for all the advice with the deposits etc. I have been doing this 7 years & it's the first time I feel really let down. But it's my own fault. I will certainly be writing them a new contract for sept & explaining why!! I get the feeling they may just not come back now after the holidays.

Flisspaps Thu 28-Jul-16 19:21:32

So they pay in arrears? I'd consider changing to paying in advance for future customers.

I pay in advance, always have - and when I was a CM, I charged in advance.

My CM bill is my second most important bill after my mortgage!

Loulou2kent Thu 28-Jul-16 19:24:29

Yes payment in advance is the way forward!! Thanks ladies! Your giving me the courage and push I need to sort this out now.

milpool Thu 28-Jul-16 19:24:58

We pay our CM in front for the coming month. I think it's unusual to pay in arrears, isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now