Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Prepaid credit cards for nanny

(10 Posts)
wizzywig Sun 24-Jul-16 16:09:26

Hi, have any of you used these for your nannies? I never have cash on me and my nanny does have financial problems so is mostly unable to pay for things on her card, give me the receipt and I pay her back. So I saw them on the moneysavingexpert website: www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards

I think it looks like a good idea, anyone else used them as a form of credit card kitty?

Davinaaddict Sun 24-Jul-16 17:47:46

I used to get one from my previous employer. I found it great as I had an app, so I could check the balance on. It helped to manage the budget really well. But it was a pain when it ran out, as if I hadn't checked or was pence short and hadn't realised, it was embarrassing for it to be refused at the til.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sun 24-Jul-16 17:58:26

I do think you ought, if you have a nanny, get organised enough to have a petty cash purse for her as presumably she has expenses which she needs cash for, though this also seems like a good idea.

wizzywig Sun 24-Jul-16 18:40:13

davinasaddict: which app did you have?

Karoleann Sun 24-Jul-16 23:36:16

We just have a pre-paid sainsburys card for our au pair. Basically I just top up as and when she asks me and I can check the spending on line. It can only be used in Sainsburys for groceries.

With our nannies we just had a kitty and she would take money out of it and leave receipts which i would check.

Nothingbutrain Mon 25-Jul-16 15:22:43

Have you tried a contactless device from barclay card, you can top it up with your credit card, but can only be used where they take contactless.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 25-Jul-16 17:43:33

you need to go and get cash at the weekend and top up kitty

it is not fair for your nanny to have to pay for your kids activities

you could have an account and giver nanny the card and transfer money from your account into it

ive usually had a credit card to use on whatever ive /children needed

Davinaaddict Mon 25-Jul-16 22:52:46

I can't remember I'm afraid. But I do remember I had to log in via my work account so it might not be available to the general public as once I left, the access was removed.

Littlefish Mon 25-Jul-16 22:55:46

I use "Go Henry" with my dd. It's a pre-paid card which can be used in most places. You can set up to transfer a certain amount each week, but can also do an immediate top-up if you need to.

You also get a text each time it's used.

minipie Mon 25-Jul-16 23:17:50

I suspect quite a few of the places our nanny takes DDs to will not take cards. Playgroups for example. Does this apply to you? if so then you will need some level of cash kitty, but it could be smaller or topped up less often if you have a card too.

How much is your nanny spending - if you stick say £80 or £100 in the kitty then itshould last a while I'd hope? that wouldsave you from having to remember cash frequently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now