Advanced search

How much do I need?

(14 Posts)
Bishopsbuddy Wed 20-Jul-16 22:35:11


I wondered can anyone tell me how much I would need to set myself up as a fully registered and insured child minder please.


OP’s posts: |
HSMMaCM Thu 21-Jul-16 09:17:55

It varies widely depending on what equipment you already have and how your house is set up.

Your local authority is the best place to contact about courses and registering.

- registration fees with Ofsted
- liability insurance
- DBS check
- enhanced paediatric first aid
- register with data protection if needed
- registration course fees

This can all take a long time, so no harm in finding out more now and then making a decision.

HSMMaCM Thu 21-Jul-16 09:19:06

Sorry I know I haven't given you figures, but they only come to the front of my mind when I'm doing the accounts grin

insuranceidiot Thu 21-Jul-16 15:24:06

No no that's very helpful. I found a local site which gives a good detail of how to become registered. I'm trying to construct a business plan to present to my "investor" lol. Would like to have an idea how much I need. Thanks again.

Elbekind Thu 21-Jul-16 20:59:01

Hi there:-)
I have spent approximately £600 on the DBS check and update service, health declaration form, ofsted registration fee, food hygiene course, data protection course, level 3 in home based childcare and pediatric first aid course.
I also have spent about £400 on toys, pushchairs, carseats, highchairs, utensils, etc etc. I have bought almost everything second hand (bar the carseats of course) but I don't have any children, so had to buy everything new.
I could still do with some more things, but obviously I will wait until I have more children lined up before purchasing.
If you like any more details, or have any questions on the registration process as a whole, feel free to private message me as I am just coming to the end of my (six month!!) registration process now.
:-) good luck!

Elbekind Thu 21-Jul-16 21:00:23

Oh and PACEY membership, public liability insurance and possible advertising e.g.

insuranceidiot Fri 22-Jul-16 07:28:04

Thank you very much. That's really helpful. My last question is did you have children lined up before you decided to register and if not how did you find clients? smile

icklekid Fri 22-Jul-16 07:30:30

insuranceidiot in answer to your last question I use a childminder and found them on which seems to be common place to advertise

longdiling Fri 22-Jul-16 07:31:39

Where I live it doesn't cost anything to set up, the course and training is all free. You can even get a grant for equipment. I was already a sahm so didn't need to worry about having customers already lined up. Online advertising worked best for me, I set up a blog and a Facebook page and advertised on here and on netmums.

Elbekind Fri 22-Jul-16 08:24:30

No I didn't because there is no guarantee how long the process will take- it has taken me over six months... And I had already completed all the relevant qualifications and dbs checks etc. That is how long I have been waiting on Ofstedsad
Fortunately I am now just waiting on an inspection date and then will be registered but I have had to let families down, thinking I would be registered in just a few more weeks (and being told by OFSTED that it would only be a few more weeks hmm ) and then it has been months and they have needed immediate childcare and had to go elsewheresad

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 22-Jul-16 08:39:35

Most of the costs are pretty spread out over the course of 6 months £100-200 at a time. I probably spent about £600 in total but didn't have to buy much in the way of equipment as I have my own DCs and use their Lego, craft stuff, board games etc. Obviously I buy extra stuff every few months, but it all goes through the business as an expense so is knocked off your taxable income.

I had one child lined up before I started, my friend's DD (her CM was quitting and her mum and I decided it would be ideal for me to start up) so was earning straight away, but at £4.30 an hour it isn't great money until you have 3 or 4 children at a time.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 22-Jul-16 08:42:54

And yes, waiting for OFSTED and police to do dbs check was the biggest ball ache! I was reading to start earning and had to wait several months and chase up the dbs several times. Infuriating.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 22-Jul-16 08:43:26

*ready to start earning

Jenniferemily123 Mon 05-Dec-16 21:08:07

Hi, I set up a First aid training business after working with child carers including Childminders and Nannies, Au pairs and Nursery workers, who struggled with costs like the Paediatric First aid course. You don't need to pay above £80 for the 12 hour course for a certified course! Try your local Adult education College or try Millie's Trust. They are UK wide and do not discriminate or charge above a fair price. x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in