This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Being an au pair in Moscow, Russia

(2 Posts)
ohVienna Tue 19-Jul-16 11:18:22

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I'm completely new here!

I just wanted to ask if anyone has been an au pair in Russia, or know anyone who has done it?

What was the experience like?
How was the language barrier?
How long was your stay?
Did you speak any Russian beforehand and did you learn to speak the language after?
How were the language courses?
What was life like on a daily basis?
What was the attitude towards British people?
Do you think it would be considered normal for a 24 year old male to be an au pair? (Sorry, I'm not a mum, please don't ban me!)
What was the pocket money like?

Thanks.

strawberrybubblegum Sat 30-Jul-16 07:53:10

How excited by it are you? It might be quite tough, but if you really want to do it then also very rewarding.

Do the family speak English at all? And where will you be?

I experienced very positive attitudes towards English people. Not very many people speak English though, so you do need to be self-sufficient. You absolutely must learn the alphabet so that you can read maps and find your way around. (It's surprisingly easy - just a few hours of concentrated work.) But you will also get some very interesting (young and educated) English-speakers who are very keen to speak to you.

Russian is a difficult language, and I wouldn't expect to pick bits up easily (as you would Spanish, say) - unless you are very gifted at languages!

I did a few weeks one-to-one language course at the university in Moscow after studying Russian for a year or so, and found it quite tough. Trying to understand some tricky Russian grammar from a non-English-speaking, very Russian teacher was not my happiest time - although I'm still very glad I did it. (Russians are not exactly impatient, but somehow make you feel incompetent a lot of the time!).

But I find Russian language and culture absolutely fascinating and exciting. DH on the other hand swore never to step foot there again after a minor run-in with a police officer (different trip). still working on him about a trans-siberian trip when DD is old enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now