Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does this sound ok for an au pair?

(15 Posts)

I need someone to do the school run with my five year old and look after my two year old for three days per week. Maybe some light cleaning and a babysitting slot once a week. It would probably work out at around 35 hours a week

We live rurally (but in a very desirable area) and I couldn't offer a car so au pair would have to walk / use public transport.

I'm likely to be single by then so s/he'd be living just with me and my two kids. Double room, no en suite.

Does this sound ok? Is sole charge of a two year old okay? Not offering a car? Single parent?

And how much should I expect to pay?

TheRealAdaLovelace Mon 18-Jul-16 23:35:46

no that is not an au pairs job, that is a nanny's job - the sole charge bit I mean.

Yes. I have a nanny at the moment but my finances are about to change hugely so I'm looking at alternatives. I thought au pairs were OK once DS was over two? No?

Au pair to do school and nursery run?

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Mon 18-Jul-16 23:49:27

My understanding is Au Pairs are not there for full-time, sole charge work. Maybe instead you could have a Nanny Share? Aren't Au Pairs supposed to have time to attend college during the week? Anyone?

asg198 Tue 19-Jul-16 16:15:43

An au pair can do school and nursery runs and have an over two for short periods of sole charge but not three whole days on their own so a couple of hours after nursery would be ok.

They'd have time for college - two weekdays each week totally off duty. They'd also get all school holidays off.

Would five mornings a week be more okay that three full days? Or is it the sole charge bit that's a problem?

I'm not just looking for a cheap option btw (though that helps!) The childminders round here are all full and the nurseries don't open until well after I need to be at work so I need either a nanny or au pair at least for the mornings.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 19-Jul-16 19:06:42

Five Half days of sole charge would be OK if they are only alone for say 4 hrs max - especially if you could make that include your DCs normal nap time. Full length working day sole charge is not appropriate for an au pair.

Rural with no car doesn't sound good though.

underneaththeash Tue 19-Jul-16 20:06:05

There are probably quite a few people that want to work as au pairs that have nursery/nanny experience, but getting one that wants to work in a rural location with no car would be tricky.

Could they actually get to a college? Are there au pairs nearby that they could meet up with? Do you also have the time to train them up? If there isn't you'll hav a very bored au pair who will leave as soon as something better comes along. 5 mornings are probably better than full days though and some au pairs do prefer to work with young children.

You can always put up an ad on au pair world - it doesn't cost very much and see who applies....

Sorry, by 'rural' I mean 'countryside' but in a town. It's a desirable place to live. Coffee shops, library, college etc all an easy walk or bus. Beautiful walks, outdoor activities etc all simple bus rides away too. I'd have time to train them and have family near by for back up.

Thank you for your suggestions. I guess all I can do is post and see who applies.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Wed 20-Jul-16 04:03:01

Sounds like you've got some options OP. Best of luck!

Babymamaroon Mon 25-Jul-16 12:25:23

Sounds fine to me, so I would disagree with a number of PPs here.

I know 3 sets of parents who ask similar things of their APs.

All depends on the AP and what they'd like to do. As long as you're very clear on your expectation, it is their prerogative to choose the position or not.

harshbuttrue1980 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:38:11

35 hours a week is quite a lot for an aupair - could you do the cleaning yourself (or get a cleaner) and cut the hours? It sounds like full-time work for pocket-money pay.

Babymamaroon Wed 27-Jul-16 14:42:17

35 hours a week is classed as an Au Pair Plus so perfectly acceptable.

gonzo155 Thu 28-Jul-16 17:42:45

If she did mornings would there be courses she could attend afternoon only?

Missgraeme Thu 28-Jul-16 17:55:31

Get your ad out there and see who applies! I have no qualifications except those learned as a parent. My employer counts me as a nanny - I wash /iron /clean /do school runs /homework / anything else that needs done!! Surely finding your personal Mary Poppins is what counts? Not the job description?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now