This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Broken pram while nanny in charge.

(45 Posts)
pinkglittergirl Sat 16-Jul-16 14:22:45

Quick question, nanny's insurance is closed until Monday, but I just wondered if anyone knows the answer.
Nanny was leaving the house yesterday, and she said the pram chassis broke on one side. It's not a cheap pram as it's a double.
My own insurance have said it is covered, with a £150 excess. But would this be something covered under the nanny's insurance (morton Michael)?
It's only our 4th day, and it really isn't going well. I don't think the arrangement will be continuing. So I'm not concerned about relations to be honest. I just want my pushchair fixed!!
I can't ring MM until Tuesday as I'm on a 12 hour shift on Monday, so I'd appreciate any advice on if it's likely to be covered. The policy isn't clear at all.

Duckyneedsaclean Sat 16-Jul-16 14:24:25

confused

ApostrophesMatter Sat 16-Jul-16 14:26:28

It's your pram. Unless she deliberately damaged it you should claim on your insurance.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Jul-16 14:27:01

I'd just ring the manufacturer and explain the situation. It's probably faulty, just because it was expensive didn't mean it's not poor quality. I certainly would claim on my insurance as premiums will go up surely?

VioletBam Sat 16-Jul-16 14:27:49

I can't think why Ducky is giving confused faces.

As for it being OP's pram...yes it is...but it was broken by Nanny so her insurance should cover it. This is why Nanny's HAVE insurance.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Jul-16 14:33:35

I had a wheel spin off a huge Silver Cross pram when nannying many moons ago,it went skidding across the road and a nice window cleaner had to help me as the whole pram would've tipped over if I'd let go of the handle! I didn't do anything to cause that and I've have been mighty pissed off had ( my lovely) employers insinuated it had been my fault! How do you think she broke the pram?

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 16-Jul-16 14:36:44

How old is pram.

If it's over a year old then no sorry I think you should pay.

If it's less than a year old then return to shop

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Jul-16 14:45:34

I agree with Grass.

Pestilence13610 Sat 16-Jul-16 14:49:14

Nannies have insurance because of employers like you.
Was the nanny or any DC injured?
Grass is right

Swatsup Sat 16-Jul-16 14:49:22

I would contact the Pram company, most are pretty good at replacing broken things either for free or you can just buy and replace the broken bit.

Callaird Sat 16-Jul-16 14:53:46

I also agree with Grass

It might have broken because it was misused before she used it, it might be down to wear and tear, it might be a manufacturing fault. Do you think she broke it deliberatly? Did you show her how to collapse and open the pram? I don't see how you can think it's her fault if it just broke while she was pushing it.

I think you have to have it fixed yourself as I can't see how she was negligent.

Gazelda Sat 16-Jul-16 14:56:52

I agree with Grass

nannynick Sat 16-Jul-16 15:02:35

Nanny insurance does not cover property belonging to the employer to my knowledge.

I would contact manufacturer initially as warranty should be valid. If not then home contents provider may cover it but policy excess and premium increase to be considered.

If nanny threw the buggy deliberately off a high building then more of a case of being their fault. If they were just using it normally and it broke, then that could have happened whilst it was with you.

Certainly nanny could contact their insurer on Monday to confirm if such a situation is covered or not but my gut feeling without checking policy wording is that it would not cover it.

Callaird Sat 16-Jul-16 15:02:53

Pestilence13610 I have nanny insurance should something awful happen to my charge on my watch, my bosses can get enough money to make the child's life as comfortable as possible.

I have never ever in 30 years (only had insurance for 25) had any of my employers ask me to pay to repair damage I have done in their home/car.
I flooded my second bosses kitchen during my third week at work, they wouldn't take any money from mt to put it right. I crashed three employers cars in the first 6 months of my 4 year employment, they refused to let me pay the excess (only one was my fault, I wasn't even in the car for the other two but insurance company went knock for knock and so they had to pay the excess)

nannynick Sat 16-Jul-16 15:09:06

Special Exclusions:
.3  loss of or damage to property owned by or in the custody or control of you or your family or your employer(s) 

So buggy would be property owned by employer in control of nanny. So I feel it falls under the exclusion.
If it was someone else's buggy, not in control of the nanny, which your child damaged, then I think that would be covered.

pinkglittergirl Sat 16-Jul-16 15:42:29

Firstly she overloaded the pram. My friend witnessed her at playgroup, and she had purchased buggy clips and added them on to the frame. There was the children's nappy bag, plus several of her own, and her large handbag.

Then she tried to force the pram though my front door despite me saying it doesn't fit through and to only ever take it around the back, or collapse to go through the front door. This is when it broke. So she has both overloaded the handle, and forced it though a gap it won't fit, by putting pressure on the chassis.

This nanny has cost me £400 in excess costs in my 4 shifts back at work. It isn't a cost I can continue to absorb. She's been unreliable and there have been a lot of issues.

I'd like to know if the insurance covers damage to my property. That's all I'd like to know. Thanks.

Pestilence13610 Sat 16-Jul-16 15:44:15

Call your insurance will also cover your legal fees if your employer tried to make you pay for a pram.
I rather feel for the nanny.
Notice OP has not been back

Pestilence13610 Sat 16-Jul-16 15:45:33

Sorry x post

BertrandRussell Sat 16-Jul-16 15:48:08

Who's going to repaint the door frame?

Floggingmolly Sat 16-Jul-16 15:48:45

It was broken by the nanny. No, the nanny had the misfortune given who her boss is to be the one pushing it when it broke. Not at all the same thing.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Jul-16 15:58:16

Flogging- my former employer said to me not to worry about breaking things as of course I would break things if I was in the house for 10 hrs + a day just as there would be breakages if they were at home every day.

Veterinari Sat 16-Jul-16 16:04:38

Except she wasn't pushing it. She was disregarding her employer's I
instructions and trying to force it through a too-narrow doorway.
Not sure why OP is getting such a hard time?

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 16-Jul-16 16:34:10

I'm a bit confused you said in original post

*Nanny was leaving the house yesterday, and she said the pram chassis broke on one side. It's not a cheap pram as it's a double.*

Nanny leaving house.

Then you say
^*Firstly she overloaded the pram. My friend witnessed her at playgroup, and she had purchased buggy clips and added them on to the frame. There was the children's nappy bag, plus several of her own, and her large handbag.

Then she tried to force the pram though my front door despite me saying it doesn't fit through and to only ever take it around the back, or collapse to go through the front door. This is when it broke*^

So it broke on returning from playgroup.

I'm confused was it before or after playgroup.

I'm just trying to understand situation before I comment....

BeaArthursUnderpants Sat 16-Jul-16 16:41:36

Grass, I read it as the nanny was leaving the house when she told OP the stroller had broken. It broke when she was trying to force it through the too-narrow door.

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 16-Jul-16 16:47:13

That's what I don't get if the chassis broke you would not be able to go to playgroup.

Or she told the OP it broke but OP was happy for her to collect children in it. Possibly causing more damage.

It's not very clear hence was it before or after the nursery run and was OP aware .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now