This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Temporary Nanny - Contract, Pay, etc???

(7 Posts)
meggleshs Fri 15-Jul-16 13:08:07

Our amazing nanny has put in notice, and due to timings, work, holiday, etc we have been unable to find another permanent nanny to start when she leaves. We are now thinking of a temporary nanny for August to help give us time to find our next amazing nanny.

We have found 2 potential candidates for this temporary position - but what is the advice on employing them? Do I need to set them up with our Payroll Folks, Do I need to provide a contract, etc? If it helps at all, the entire month's wage comes to about £1000.

Cindy34 Fri 15-Jul-16 16:48:52

Your current payroll provider should be able to do the payroll for the temp. You could save a bit by writing your own contract, you have your previous nannies contract to base it on. Agree a gross salary, as you don't know what tax code a temp nanny will have.

Forresitters1 Fri 15-Jul-16 17:06:30

If you're already with a payroll company they can sort this out for you but equally because it is a temporary position less than 6 months, if either nanny is already self employed then they could add this job to their tax return. You could just contact HMRC or a payroll company for them to confirm what your best and legal option is!

meggleshs Sun 17-Jul-16 12:29:00

Thanks - I will ring our nanny payroll company on Monday to sort out. Yes, I think a simple contract would be best for all involved, even if only a month.

meggleshs Mon 18-Jul-16 09:23:51

Any idea if I need to pay holiday pay for the (1) month that she'll be working? Seems overkill... but I want to do it above the board.

Cindy34 Mon 18-Jul-16 13:39:59

Holiday for a temp is usually paid at the end, as unlikely you will let them have time off during their working time, especially on a short temp job. 12.07% of time worked. Your payroll provider will calculate it for you and add to their final payslip prior to producing the P45.

meggleshs Mon 18-Jul-16 13:51:45

Perfect - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now