Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I think I am too cheap 😊

(14 Posts)
JeanGenie23 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:44:56

I am in NE London and I charge £5.65p/h. This inc all meals and snacks.

Can anyone give me an idea of what they charge and what they inc for their fee?

Thank you

venys Thu 14-Jul-16 21:59:07

A nanny through an agency in West London gets about £10 net an hour. I think babysitting is around the £7-£9/ hour mark but I am not sure. I have no idea about cms. I think the main thing is to be earning minimum wage which is £7 something an hour.

thisgirlrides Fri 15-Jul-16 00:26:11

I charge £6ph + meals in Kent so I'd be amazed if you should be cheaper. You really need to find out the going rate for your area as even a few miles (esp in London ) can make a huge difference.

SpaceDinosaur Fri 15-Jul-16 00:30:31

Kensington. £20/HR +expenses.

JeanGenie23 Fri 15-Jul-16 08:54:18

I have been charging the same for about 5yrs and honestly didn't consider an increase because I earn enough blush but I had a new starter and she said how reasonable we were considering what I offer in comparison to other CMs and nurseries.
It seems lots of people charge differently, some have a flat rate for the day, some charge extra for food, some charge an all inc fee for food and days out. confused I don't really know how much higher to go!

alltouchedout Fri 15-Jul-16 09:07:06

If you're earning enough then why charge more? Think how welcome you are to people who would otherwise massively struggle to afford decent childcare!

thisgirlrides Fri 15-Jul-16 10:51:52

Not having a go op but I honestly don't get this 'I earn enough so why charge more' mentality! Surely you are working because you need to earn a living & whilst it's great that you enjoy your job/love the children/don't want to fleece people etc but surely you want to earn as much as you can? Don't undersell yourself op I honestly think sometimes people are wary if you're too cheap and assume there's a reason why you're not in line with the rest of the market. I would at the very least do to a small increase for existing clients and then look to charge properly for anyone new coming in.

thisgirlrides Fri 15-Jul-16 10:53:39

Another thought, surely your costs have risen in 5 years? You must be earning far less now than you were if for no other reason than increased cost of living.

FrancesHaHa Fri 15-Jul-16 10:54:23

North London here - £10 an hour for an after school childminder with dinner. I think it's slightly less for those who spend the day there.

JeanGenie23 Fri 15-Jul-16 12:12:51

Certain costs have risen but not massively. We grow the majority of our own vegetables so very minimal costs on that front. The only thing that's increased are bills, but not enough to warrant an increase on 7 families fees.
My partner and I aren't in debt we have two holidays a year and have enjoyable weekends, we have to reign it in towards the end of the month but nothing drastic so I haven't felt the need to increase fees annually.
Like alltouchedout says I don't want to become unaffordable. I know how ridiculous full time childcare is.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps I should just increase to £6p/h

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Jul-16 14:12:50

Most cm I know put their rates up each year by 25:50p an hour

If you haven't for 5yrs then I would

Are you always busy - assume yes if less then £6 and in London.

I would increase to £6 - that's 35p per hr and 3.50per day per child - just over 5%

JeanGenie23 Fri 15-Jul-16 14:41:43

Yes constantly busy and I have had two full timers which brings in £2,000+ per month alone, hence not considering an increase.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Jul-16 15:29:32

Guess if you can survive on what you earn then great and if cheaper then all the others you will always be in work

Up to you if you charge more. Even if you put up 10p ph - £1 a day - £5 a week extra - all adds up

ConciousUncoupling Sun 17-Jul-16 08:01:01

I charge 5.50 per hour. Parents supply nappies. I do everything else. Cheaper than nurseries in the area but on par with other CMs.

Close to London on the M4 corridor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now