This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

to old be a nanny. ?

(21 Posts)
ichangedmymindagain Mon 11-Jul-16 12:45:36

I'm a working a present a full time nanny but will probably be leaving my family when mum has her baby . (Long maternity leave )
I've started to post my profile on a few site and whilst at I'm being looked at I'm not getting anyone asking to interview me.
I am qualified and very experienced and never been out of work ,so I'm beginning to wonder is it my age that is putting people off .
I'm only 54 .

foolonthehill Mon 11-Jul-16 12:49:14

you'd be snapped up around here.......but I suppose it's possible that new parents might be nervous, have you talked to agency locally to see what they think

Artandco Mon 11-Jul-16 12:49:16

Maybe. Many jobs are 12 hr days and many now want 24hr care and travel occasionally. Maybe people worry you will be tired after a long day with active little ones, or they worry they want a nanny now for newborn until as long as possible a worry you will decrease hours in a few years time

If you started a job with one baby for example, but 1 year later they had twins, do you think you could keep up with 3 under 2 daily?

marthastew Mon 11-Jul-16 12:49:41

I have hired a few nannies and would always much prefer someone with plenty of experience - but I am in London would worry that I couldn't afford someone with lots of knowledge and work/life experience.

Artandco Mon 11-Jul-16 12:52:03

Also are you up to date with qualifications or are they old? Also do you have many extra things you are qualified for? Many now want a nanny for example who speaks two languages and plays piano so they don't have to pay for additional lessons ontop of nanny cost , or they are simply a bilingual family

diplodocus Mon 11-Jul-16 12:53:42

I wonder why no-one asks Theresa May if she has the energy to be PM at 58 yet people question those over 50 in relation to childcare? hmm

ichangedmymindagain Mon 11-Jul-16 13:02:06

I'm still working a 12hr days and still keeping up with my little ones ,(have a very energetic 3year old at present) .
I am looking at taking some online courses to update my qualifications and I try and read up on childcare information(not just on mumsnet) .
I don't have other skills such as another language or piano playing though.
I am registered with a couple of agencies and dint have a problem a few years ago ,had wanted to stay with my present family long term and with a new baby coming didn't think I'd have to leave ,but they can't afford to pay me whilst mum is on maternity leave and I can't afford not to work:-(

Hels20 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:01:32

You are not too old. Our nanny is in her fifties and she is amazing. Has more energy than me or DH. I actually welcome someone older who has experience - nothing phases her! She has seen it all! But I live in a large city.

Ebb Mon 11-Jul-16 20:09:28

Do you put your age on your ads? If so, leave it off. Just say 20+ years of experience or however many you have. People can be ageist. I know plenty of older Nannies and all are snapped up pretty quickly.

OVienna Tue 12-Jul-16 20:22:35

Nanny housekeeper for a high net worth. Have you looked in the lady?

anotherbloodycyclist Tue 12-Jul-16 20:32:56

Agree diplodocus, and no one asks Hilary Clinton at 68 if she really has enough energy to be president of the US either! Honestly, I would have snapped you up, all that experience is very appealing. I'd big that up on your profile but leave out your age. It's not relevant.

WellTidy Tue 12-Jul-16 20:39:29

One of our nannies was 40 when she joined us and 45 when she left. She was the oldest nanny in her peer group. I would happily employ a nanny of your age, accept the NNEB qualification etc, if I was sure that you had the energy. In fact, given that we've only ever had three nannies, and they've each left us To go on maternity leave, your age might be seen as a positive!

Mamagin Wed 13-Jul-16 00:11:14

I'm 62, and seem to manage OK. The children enjoy swinging from my zimmer frame.

DetestableHerytike Wed 13-Jul-16 00:11:18

If your current family would like you to stay, would you consider some other temp work for a year (mother's help, covering another nanny's maternity leave?) in order to go back to them?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 13-Jul-16 00:13:28

Are you maybe a little expensive because of your many years of experience?

Because other than cost I can't see why you being 54 would put anyone off.

venys Sat 16-Jul-16 22:58:13

I only employ temporary part time nannies but I would prefer someone your age. You are more likely to have a flexible schedule (as no young dependents) and have lots of experience with everything and likely to be level headed. Although my boys are energetic, I have had ladies in their mid 50s look after them in the past with no problems.

eurycantha Sun 17-Jul-16 21:53:49

I have a two day job with nine year old twins and their ten year old brother 'ive been there eight years,I also have a three day job with a one year old and a new baby expected at the end of the year.i am almost the same age as you ,am still crawling around the floor playing games,if you are fit then I see no reason you won't get something.i speak French but do not play an instrument,however my previous charges all learnt an instrument ,several to a very high level.I started my twins and sibling job when they were two and their brother was three but I managed without any problems .

minipie Sun 17-Jul-16 22:20:36

I wonder if you could put a few things in your profile to offset any negative preconceptions,eg

- I am fit, healthy and energetic (to offset any assumptions about your health)

- Looking for a long term role ideally (to offset assumptions you are on retirement path)

- Happy to adapt to your family's way of doing things (to offset assumptions you might be set in your ways/oldfashioned or try to "dictate" to a mum who is younger than you)

Or as a pp suggested just leave off your age!

bevelino Sun 17-Jul-16 22:24:53

OP you would have no problem getting a job in west London.

SaltySeaBird Sun 17-Jul-16 22:32:04

I'd much prefer an older nanny than the nursery I use where DD and soon DS are looked after by largely 16 year olds.

However I very much doubt I could afford it! Out of interest, what is you day rate? I've always assumed we can't afford a nanny.

EreniTheFrog Thu 21-Jul-16 19:19:00

I'd take you - I would really welcome your experience. (Not offering though, am afraid - currently out of work and so don't need childcare help)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now