Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Become a childminder?

(6 Posts)
oneson070711 Sat 09-Jul-16 18:12:05

Never posted on here before but have been registered a while reading posts etc.
Anyway I have a level 3 childcare qualification and been working in a nursery for 9 years. I have recently started thinking about becoming a childminder from home but I don't know where to start or what I need to do. Any information would be appreciated. Thankyou

nannynick Sat 09-Jul-16 20:36:28

Depends which country you are in.

Your local Early Years department at the council (county council in some places) can be good starting point, as they may run an introduction to childminding course.

If in Scotland, you could start by looking at information from SCMA...

oneson070711 Sat 09-Jul-16 20:53:06

Thankyou I'm in England X

Blue4ever Sun 10-Jul-16 13:34:09

Yes contact your local authority they can offer training and support. The process is a bit long so don't give up your day job yet! And try to meet other childminders in your area to understand your market before starting the area.

Also, be realistic about your expectations of how many children you can look after, how much you will charge, how many hours you will childmind. A lot of the work as after the children have gone it's long hours. If you look after children from 8 to 6.30 you will not sit down before 7 and you will have to do paperwork after that or at weekends. It's hard work.

abbie1988 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:20:43

this is my first time on here and i was hoping for some advice. i recently work in a nursery, but i have been approached by a parent to be there childminder, which for a single parent like myself seems like an amazing opportunity for me to be able to spend more time with my daughter and look after someone else's child but i get working tax benefits and i was wondering, will i lose my benefits if i become a registered childminder?
any advice would be a great help.

Elbekind Mon 11-Jul-16 14:31:48

I would definitely suggest ringing your local council to find out exactly what you need to do... I tried to work it all out myself and it was a mine field!
The council will be able to tell you about any funding you may be eligible for, or just give you general assistance.
abbie1988 I can't offer any advice on your tax benefits I'm sorry but I will mention that I started my application process to become a childminder at the beginning on Jan this year and now, in July, I'm still waiting on an inspection date. I did everything I needed to as soon as possible but Ofsted are having a particularly busy year apparently as I still have no end in sight. They confirmed that they had received everything over 2 months agosad Just letting you know as I also had families lined up that have since had to find alternative childcare arrangements as they just couldn't wait any longer.
Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now