Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Amazing Nanny Leaving...

(8 Posts)
meggleshs Mon 04-Jul-16 10:11:41

Our amazing nanny has given notice as she is ill and is finding full-time childcare too much.

Lots of questions:

1- 2.5 daughter and 4.5 son. We were thinking of telling them 1 week before, does that make sense?

2- Apprioprate leaving gift?

3- using Childcare.co.uk, but not finding a great number of applicants. Anyone use nannyjob? I used them both last go around - 2 years ago, and I found childcare much better.

InternationalHouseofToast Mon 04-Jul-16 10:21:03

Is there any scope for her staying PT and you using a nursery to cover the rest of her hours? If she's amazing it would be a shame to lose her.

meggleshs Mon 04-Jul-16 10:48:54

It's a fine balance - we have offered to give her 2 months 'sick' OR go down to part time hours for 2 months. However, she doesn't want to guarantee coming back in 2 months.

It's a horrible timing - as our spirited and full on son is going to school in september and I am expecting the transtiion to be tough.

I don't want to put pressure on her - but I do want her to know we can be flexible. I asked her on Thursday to consider it and if she wanted to discuss it further I'd be happy to do so. I don't want her to feel obligated to stay on.

nannylife Mon 04-Jul-16 18:09:16

Hi, I told my nanny family that I would be leaving around the March time (to leave for around the end of july) and we told the kids almost straight away. We felt it was a good life lesson for them to learn that people move away etc... The kids were involved in the process of finding a new nanny, as was I. It was a little tough on the kids some days but overall I think it was the right decision to tell them early. If we'd have sprung it on them a week before I think they would have really really struggled. Still see them now. We have a lovely relationship.
I can't actually remember what I was given, I think a cash gift but not a huge amount ( I was very grateful though of course)

uhoh1973 Mon 04-Jul-16 22:46:45

If you really like her (and she likes you) you could suggest part-time especially as your son will be starting school?

inneedofaholiday82 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:15:28

We had exactly this problem! Dad handled it better than I did- again we involved them in the process of finding their new nanny.
I have really gone of childcare.co been badly let down once and the calibre seems to have dropped.
This time we chose a nanny through an agency- Harmony at Home and I have to say it was worth every penny! Our new nanny started 3 weeks ago and is incredible and I didn't have to worry about all of the security checking as it was done for me.
Hope all works out smile

wizzywig Tue 12-Jul-16 08:58:06

Is harmony at home a national agency?

inneedofaholiday82 Tue 12-Jul-16 10:44:16

Hi Wizzywig
Yes, I believe so- we used the Surrey branch- lovely lady!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now