Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New nanny employer, what have I forgotten?

(3 Posts)
Notreallyanewuser Fri 01-Jul-16 16:55:13

So I have read many threads on this board and got some very helpful advice, thanks (nannynick especially). I just wanted to check a couple of things.
I will be employing an aftercare nanny, for 9 hours per week. I have found a lady who has her own child and will bring him with her. We have agreed £9 gross per hour and she has no other job. HMRC says I don't need to register as employer as under £112/ week. I have the sample contract from nannytax and am filling it in. HMRC says I don't have to pay SSP or maternity pay as under PAYE threshold, would that just go into the contract as "there is no entitlement to....)?
Also, holiday pay, 5.6 weeks pro rata, is it reasonable to say employer can choose 2 of the weeks?
I will get employer's liability insurance and was planning to do my own payslips.
Have I forgotten anything?
Thanks!

nannynick Fri 01-Jul-16 17:21:16

>We have agreed £9 gross per hour and she has no other job. HMRC says I don't need to register as employer as under £112/ week.

Yes, that is correct. I would suggest you ask her to complete a P46/Starter Checklist (links to pdf) which you keep on file - as proof that it is her only job, as statement A would be ticked.

I have the sample contract from nannytax and am filling it in. HMRC says I don't have to pay SSP or maternity pay as under PAYE threshold, would that just go into the contract as "there is no entitlement to....)?
Also, holiday pay, 5.6 weeks pro rata, is it reasonable to say employer can choose 2 of the weeks?
I will get employer's liability insurance and was planning to do my own payslips.

>I have the sample contract from nannytax and am filling it in.
Didn't know they did a template one. It is probably OK but keep an eye out for things like Holiday Entitlement being 5.6 weeks minimum... don't use 4 weeks plus bank holidays.

>HMRC says I don't have to pay SSP or maternity pay as under PAYE threshold, would that just go into the contract as "there is no entitlement to....)?

Not sure how you would phrase that. Statutory entitlements subject to eligibility.

>Also, holiday pay, 5.6 weeks pro rata, is it reasonable to say employer can choose 2 of the weeks?

Yes but you will need to define what two weeks is - I would do it in hours.
I would also include something about how much notice would be given. Would you be choosing entire week, or just part of it? Thus you choosing 18 hours per year may be better than saying 2 weeks.

If a working day occurs on a bank holiday, do you need them to work? Do you insist they take it as holiday? Does it come out of their choice, or your choice?

>I will get employer's liability insurance
Call your home contents insurance provider, they often have it as an add-on or already included in your policy.

>and was planning to do my own payslips.
As you don't need to report the earnings, you can write them out.
A self-duplicating book like this Silvine Duplicate Memo Book would be useful as you then have a copy of exactly what was written for each payment made.

Only thing I can see that is missing is an ID check. www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work

How will you make payments? I would use bank transfer if possible, as then you have an audit trail of payments. As with any first time payment to a new payee using internet banking, do a small £5 transfer first and confirm they have received it in their account. Nightmare to try to get back funds sent incorrectly.

Notreallyanewuser Fri 01-Jul-16 20:05:32

Thanks, that's brilliant. I'd never have thought of a P46 starter checklist, the tip about setting up the bank transfer is also a good one. I have done the ID check already. Much to my surprise, i found the HMRC website helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now