Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM would you pay someone to do paperwork?

(13 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 30-Jun-16 22:26:30

I'm seriously considering asking a friend (ex nursery teacher) if she'd do my eyfs paperwork? I know & care for my charges well & do a variety of activities that no doubt cover the eyfs, but I just can't see to get it down on paper confusedblushsad. I've done absolutely nothing (bar daily diaries) for nearly 2 years and my inspection is looming and I'm losing sleep over it. Friend is trying to find PT ad hoc work & I earn well so could take the hit for peace of mind.
Is this even feasible ? Would you do it & what should I pay?

wobblywonderwoman Thu 30-Jun-16 22:36:26

I think if it eases things for you and you can stand by it when asked questions then why not.

Also are there not lots of online things ready made you could use ?

LouBlue1507 Fri 01-Jul-16 05:55:56

You can't use someone to do your paperwork as you would be breaking confidentiality.

HSMMaCM Fri 01-Jul-16 12:30:48

How would she know what to put in the EYFS paperwork? It is your observations and if you've already written these down, then you've already done your paperwork. I'm struggling to see what she could do.

Invoices maybe and perhaps newsletters, but noting down observations, which she hasn't observed?

What is it you are stuck on? Maybe we can help? Can you use your daily diary as your EYFS record?

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 01-Jul-16 12:43:55

It's the observations, LJ, progress & next steps I just can't seem to get to grips with confused. I can write up an observation & started well with that aiming for 1 a week per child but it's the whole linking to it & next steps I lose my way & then gave up on all of it blushDoing an obs feels like such a contrived interaction & like I'm forcing a situation to fit a bloody tick sheet. I really need to get out of this mindset and find a really simple solution that does the basics but won't take me hours or get so complicated I give up again! I'm not bothered about getting outstanding but do want to retain my good grade smile

glenthebattleostrich Fri 01-Jul-16 12:47:38

Have you looked at an online system?

I used baby's days for a while until I got better at doing the next steps and linking myself.

lovelynannytobe Fri 01-Jul-16 13:02:42

Nowhere does it say you have to fill out forms and do written obs. The only written requirement is the 2yo check progress report. I used to be a childminder and never bothered with learning journeys. I just took the photos messaged them over through a messenger and got an almost immediate feedback back from the parents. I knew where my children were exactly at. Had my inspection and got a strong good. Showed the inspector how I communicate with the parents.

HSMMaCM Fri 01-Jul-16 17:25:41

Your observations are probably in your daily diary
- x managed the big slide by himself today
- x tried some curry even though he wasn't sure about it
- x enjoyed reading the gruffalo

Etc etc

Do t make it harder than it is. You can tell the inspector which of these things relate to physical development, literacy, etc.

If you want to note down next steps (which might make them easier to show to the inspector) then once a month in the diary write something appropriate:
- try to find ways to get x to try more foods
- read stories with puppets / in the garden
- support x with sharing

Or whatever

Try and keep it simple and a way that works for you and the parents.

The parents could also make a note in the diary of anything they have observed or want you to try.

jannier Fri 01-Jul-16 21:27:24

No for all the reasons said. I think your over thinking it. When a child is doing something like fitting a shape into a puzzle do you know what the next thing to offer is to improve that skill including more opportunities to try that puzzle. If a child starts snipping paper do you have ideas to help with that skill? Those are often what you need for planning just ideas for improving those skills.
You don't need to rewrite obs, I copy and useful entries in diaries for my file as someone has already said, I also take photos of new things and wow moments (no set number as it depends on child's rate of development so some weeks no obs other weeks lots). If a child likes dinosaurs I know it its not written down but I will use that interest in play.
around once a month I take the pictures from my phone import them to the app...piccollage add any written notes by text option (around 6 photos max per sheet works) I then email them to myself...this canbe done sat waiting in the car, when your having lunch any spare 5 mins. You do not have to relate these back to the eyfs. Around every 6 weeks I go through a version of development matters (ours is issued to all education settings in the borough including schools) I highlight a different colour each time so you can see the rate of progress with a coloum for emerging, developing and embedded - so no dates to write. thenI pick with parents about 6 next steps job done. second outstanding using this system and several of my students have it as well.

Maryann1975 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:34:01

I'm struggling to see how a paperwork assistant could help. I think you are maybe expecting to much from yourself. My obs are quite simple, eg this week, at the park, child a struggled to wait in turn for the slide. So next step would be turn taking activities eg games like dominoes. Child b was able to use scissors to roughly cut out a star following the lines on the sheet. Next steps, keep practising using scissors to practise following lines while cutting.
Some observations are longer, but I don't think a longer one is necessarily better than a short concise one. I try (but don't always manage) to do an observation per child per week, but then I have both children full time. If I had more part time children I wouldn't be doing one a week.
I now use 'look listen note' and using this system made it so much clearer in my head. I probably spend between 30 -60 mins a week, writing up obs, next steps, lj and linking it to my planning sheets. I do this while the children play around me or while they nap.

jannier Fri 01-Jul-16 21:50:39

Another thing to consider is that a big part of the inspection is how well you know your children where they are now and what they are needing to get to next steps, you have to do an activity and an observation with the inspector talking through what the children are doing and what they are getting from it. It would be very hard to evidence this if you haven't actually done the work yourself (and how could someone who doesn't work with the children do it?)

With regards to your inspection I would start now from where the children are at this time get that right and show the inspector how you system has developed and improved between now and then. make sure you have done 2 year reviews on all children in the setting who are 2 and any who have come to you from other places without one.
You do not have to have masses of written work.

blowmybarnacles Fri 01-Jul-16 22:01:41

I'm with lovelynannytobe

You don't have to have all that paperwork

Look at this, might set your mind at rest

www.linkedin.com/pulse/big-fat-lie-childminding-paperwork-c-andrea-turner

alibubbles Sat 02-Jul-16 14:09:37

I do very little paperwork, simple obs - a photo, a few lines and a next step of a few words, once a half term. No planning, no Sef, I just know my children inside out, know where they are, where I want them to be.

I use the EYO as a guide, not a tick list and I do a termly assessment, one page under the Prime areas of learning and a few statements related to specific areas, parents comments, all done!

Third outstanding in a row this year. My Ofsted was 2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now