Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Using a non nanny specific payroll

(4 Posts)
TheDetective Wed 29-Jun-16 21:00:06

I've just been listing my options. It seems much cheaper to use a regular company for payroll, rather than nannytax etc.

Anyone else done this? Any pitfalls to be aware of? Our situation is relatively straightforward. It seems like it could work. I just wanted others thoughts.

Thanks!

nannynick Wed 29-Jun-16 21:28:54

Net wage agreements. Tax code splits. Access to employment law advice. Access to general advice about employing a nanny (though you can ask on here and get advice from nanny employers and nannies). Contract production and interpretation of common clauses in to something you and your nanny understand.

Is it cheaper? What sort of cost are they giving for doing weekly payroll for a small company with one employee?

Look out for:
Charge for producing p45.
Charge for ending the payroll scheme.
Charge for doing payroll for a maternity cover nanny (so second employee whilst first employee is on SMP).
Charge for replacement payslips.
Charge for lost P45.

Consider how much help you need in the general things of being an employer, how much reminding you need to pay tax bills, how much assistance you need with providing a pension scheme (do you know when you need to provide that?).

You could do the payslips yourself using low cost software. So think more about what else is offered and how easy they make it for you.

Diddlydokey Wed 29-Jun-16 21:32:29

I've come across this company and they were reasonable and good www.johnsontidsall.co.uk/business/payroll

TheDetective Wed 29-Jun-16 23:19:39

She's been my babysitter for 18 months. She's just turned 18, is a family friend, and we've just OFSTED registered her to allow me to claim tax credits to pay her.

The only complication at present would be if she took a 2nd job, but we have agreed gross pay as £7.50 an hour.

I'm fairly competent at tax related things, and would probably be okay using the free software, however for the first year, I appreicate it's probably better to use a payroll. I just didn't see the need to use a nanny specific payroll, and wanted to see why these were the only ones people ever recommended.

I'll check those things you mentioned out. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now