This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Leaving gift for childminder

(11 Posts)
Loafingaround Wed 29-Jun-16 14:34:42

Our daughter has been with our lovely childminder for 2 years and sadly the time has come when we are in her last month with her.

I think I read somewhere on here ages ago that some people allow their CM to keep their initial deposit as leaving gift/give an entire months bonus??
Sadly we just cant stretch this much- should I pay her final month as usual and then give a gift on last day? Was thinking cash/vouchers and bottle bubbly? What amount seems generous but not too OTT? Thanks.

Notagainmun Wed 29-Jun-16 15:22:41

I always appreciated a voucher for a spa day with a friend or posh afternoon champagne tea. One of my favourite presents was a pretty personalized mug with Best Childminder on it.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:26:12

I am going to get ours a nice plant for her garden and probably some wine/chocs or something personal like a painted plate. I will be very sad to lose her, she has been amazing and my ds loves her like family.

Jackie0 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:26:37

I've never heard of an extra months money,id be embarrassed.
Nice presents are ,a flowering plant in a pot, booze, voucher for a department store, maybe perfume if you know what she likes.
I'd be delighted with any of those .

downright Wed 29-Jun-16 15:40:49

Have a look for personalized stuff on not on the high street.com. I got ours a kit where you made a tree out of handprints with some personalized writing underneath.

No way would I pay a bonus month. I'm not made of money.

Jackie0 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:45:06

It probably goes without saying but avoid photos of the kids or something made by the kids , we' re already covered for arts and crafts wink

fieldfare Wed 29-Jun-16 15:53:25

When I stopped I was given gifts by various parents: a beautiful glass vase and a bunch of flowers, a bottle of wine and a box of nice chocolates, a John Lewis voucher, a cardi/wrap type thing (this was from my friend) and Sunday lunch at my favourite local restaurant.

I wouldn't have dreamt of accepting a month's fees!

downright Wed 29-Jun-16 17:14:19

That sounds like I made the cm do the kit. I didn't. Me and child did the kit, she got the picture smile

alibubbles Sat 02-Jul-16 14:15:39

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but no chocs, ( I don't eat them)no candles, ( I hate the smell of some of them, and prefer to use church candles, no smell) no plants please! I have cupboards full of them that I give to my mother for her WI raffles and the plants die in a week in my care!

A beautifully written card of thoughtful words of thanks, is all that is needed. I love to look back through all my cards, and put them into an album. I have many going back over 20 years or more.

waitingforsomething Mon 04-Jul-16 01:53:21

I loved my cm she looked after dd for 2 years until I went on Mat leave with ds.
I bought her a spa voucher, some flowers and a small chocolate gift for each of her daughters

jannier Mon 04-Jul-16 09:20:05

What means the most to me is little visits and updates on progress.

We don't often have much just for us so I think a voucher for a treat day or gift is nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now