This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

help - wise experienced heads give advice please

(10 Posts)
jayho Mon 20-Jun-16 18:42:53

I am a single parent. I have two primary aged children. Until Easter both spent mid week night any eow with ex plush half holidays.

Ex has decided not to see one of the children anymore - do not want to go in to back story but unlikely to change.

I work ft out of the house, we live rurally. Up until easter I worked in big city either side of the midweek and alternate monday/fridays on contact weekends.

I can't do this now.

Please can someone describe a childcare solution/model I can put in place as a solution.

some notes:

1 I have no family support in my area
2I do not have space in my house for live in help
3 I earn a reasonable income so am open to reasonabe high cost options
4 children are too old for nursery etc - older ds is 1 goes to secondary in september (he's the one the father isn't seeing)
5 I am sole family suuport, flexing working arrangements not an option - limping on at the mo and my city team being tolerant

Thanks - at wits end,,,,

jayho Mon 20-Jun-16 18:43:24

excuse typos....

Karoleann Mon 20-Jun-16 19:14:41

jayho - can you repost without the typos? When do you actually need childcare.

idontlikealdi Mon 20-Jun-16 19:37:31

Nanny?

HSMMaCM Mon 20-Jun-16 20:53:34

So is it childcare for a secondary school aged child? How many hours per day?

nannynick Mon 20-Jun-16 21:13:58

Think local. Who would be interested in providing care before/after school and during school holidays? Advert in village shop may get a part time nanny.

A childminder near the school might work - are there any?

jayho Tue 21-Jun-16 11:25:27

Sorry, went down with a migraine shortly after posting which may explain the inability to type......

The more I think about it there just don't seem to be any do-able solutions that don't involve me seeing even less of my children than I currently do.

I think I have to go back to the drawing board in terms of work/life balance. As much as I love my job, my current project does't fit my family responsibilities and I need to ask to be re-assigned. Depressing but realistic.sad

Thanks for the responses though.

Thally Tue 21-Jun-16 11:57:48

A nanny who does after school and holidays, average out their monthly pay. It would be easier if you work the same hours every week. Contact a nanny agency. If you offer enough money on an hourly rate you will most likely find somebody even for awkward hours.

Lunde Thu 23-Jun-16 00:28:24

An after school nanny/childminder could be an option, After school activities as well?

For the bigger holidays are there holiday clubs or day/residential camps that would work for you

Would non-local support work for a week or two of bigger holidays - for example staying away with grannies/aunties/uncles/ cousins could be a big adventure.

Do you have any friends you could swap childcare with?

summerainbow Thu 23-Jun-16 17:07:22

I think you need post age of kids . And are in state or private? What holiday club are in your area . Any special interests of the kids.?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now