Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

transition from nanny to nursery

(9 Posts)
incywinci Fri 17-Jun-16 13:39:09

Hi,

My daughter has always had a nanny, and we now want to put her into full time nursery. She's 3 so is vocal.

I've taken her to see a few and each time we go she insists she wants to come back home. I feel like it's going to be a really difficult transition from 1-2-1 care to 1-2-8. Anyone got any tips or can share experiences please? Thanks!

Artandco Fri 17-Jun-16 13:40:42

Have you considered a childminder instead as a half way point?

incywinci Fri 17-Jun-16 13:42:04

Artandco, that does seem like a good option but I haven't had any luck finding someone I can trust.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 17-Jun-16 16:45:39

Why are you changing? What do you mean she's vocal?

HSMMaCM Fri 17-Jun-16 17:08:15

It's similar to the transition from mum to nursery, in the sense that it's 1:1 focussed on your DC to a big group with less choice of activities, when to leave, attention, sharing, etc.

She'll probably love it once she gets used to the change.

nannynick Fri 17-Jun-16 17:22:56

Do nursery hours fit with when you need childcare? One of the plus points of a nanny is that they work when other childcare providers are closed.

As a nanny children in my care have attended pre-school at age 3 and 4 for up to 15 hours a week. Meanwhile I have cared for younger siblings and/or spent the time doing household tasks.

incywinci Fri 17-Jun-16 19:18:00

Iguess, we are changing because nanny has left and I need some stability. Last nanny took quite a few days off and I've got a very busy period coming up at work.

What I mean by vocal is that when we visit any of the nurseries, the moment we get in, she keeps saying she wants to go back home, and appears overwhelmed by the other children. I feel like maybe she isn't ready yet for a full day at nursery ... But I think it's because she is just so used to getting one to one attention, and not used to being ignored or not being the centre of attention sad

incywinci Fri 17-Jun-16 19:19:40

Nannynick, nursery hours go fit. The reason we've had a nanny so far is because we wanted her to have one to one care, and it didn't require drop offs, which was much more convenient for us.

Naivebutnice Tue 24-Jan-17 07:14:39

Did you make the change? I'm in a similar situation now (DS will be 3 this April, nanny leaving us in next month or two, looking at full time nursery) and am curious to see how others have survived the transition. My son seems to enjoy being at the nurseries we have visited but is very attached to both his nanny and to me and I want to make sure that the process is not too traumatic for him, if at all possible... thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now