Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

flexible childcare for nhs shifts involving preschool pick up

(8 Posts)
m4dw1f3 Mon 13-Jun-16 14:37:19

Hi
I've truly been spooky for the past 3.5 years having a flexible CM who has made life so easy but she's just given me her notice as she's moving area sad

I work 3 long days a week as a midwife and as I'm new to the job I have to take what shifts I'm given until my probationary period is over then I can apply for child friendly shifts (set days)

My dd is 3.5 and goes to a nursery attached to a primary school which is local to CM rather than me - she's v settled and it's a lovely nursery so would prefer to keep her there but there are no other CM's who pick up from this school.

So I need someone for 3 days a week (not set days), from 8am to take her to nursery at 8.45, pick up at 11.45 and then have her until 5.30 when dad gets in

What options do I have? If any?? Part time nanny?

Maryann1975 Tue 14-Jun-16 12:45:45

I would say if there are no other cms at the school, your options are either a nanny (but they would probably want set days) or to move schools to one that either does a wrap around club or is open 8-5.30 or where there is a childminder with a vacancy you could have. Would your dd attend the school she is at now or would she go to your local school? This could be the Reason to move the childcare nearer to your home.

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Jun-16 12:47:38

My DS goes to a private nursery who do that arrangement - the problem is that they would definitely need set days.

CountryLovingGirl Wed 15-Jun-16 21:33:08

Does the school have a breakfast club? Ours is £2 a day from 8am-9am but they do have to be reception age upwards. Other option is a day nursery - a lot of them do offer school drop off and pick up (taking the children back to the nursery for a light tea before a parent collects them).

I work for the NHS too! We do 7.5 hr days (so, 5 days a week) with 2 or 3 twelve hour nights a month. It's a nightmare with late shifts and weekends (we work a lot more than we used to). I would love to do 3x 12 hr shifts but the manager won't have any of it!

CountryLovingGirl Wed 15-Jun-16 21:34:26

Our local nurseries don't need set days either.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Wed 15-Jun-16 22:25:49

I have nanny friends who work a flexible rota so there are nannies who would be willing to do it

PinPon Thu 16-Jun-16 19:41:25

You've probably already thought of this, but have you asked other NHS workers what they do? There's a private nursery that caters for shift work near my local hospital, which lots of parents who work at the hospital use.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 16-Jun-16 21:37:24

Ask any of the nursery workers if they want to earn money?

A Rota is hard but not impossible to find a nanny - esp a nwoc who is likely to be flexible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now