Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Aupair want to work weekends

(14 Posts)
emodi Sun 12-Jun-16 14:52:56

I just interviewed an aupair on Skype . She doesn't want to go to college to learn English and wants to work outside the house weekends . Normally my aupairs (I have had 2 over the years) usually learn English and spend weekends sightseeing. Should I accept this ? I don't actually need her to work for me weekends but I'm just worried if they have an outside job they are just using me for a stop gap while they find their feet in the UK . What do you think?

RNBrie Sun 12-Jun-16 14:57:25

I'd be wary having an au pair do a "proper" job as well but it depends how much she'll be paid. If her job registers as her employer and then that work plus yours takes her salary over they personal allowance threshold, you'll be liable to pay tax, national insurance etc.

If her job plus you is less than personal allowance then I wouldn't worry too much!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 12-Jun-16 17:38:13

Most of my Au Pairs have done this I always put them on PAYE so I get their tax free allowance. They are exempt from SMP, SSP and pensions as they earn too little. They are exempt from national minimum wage as they are residential household staff.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 12-Jun-16 18:20:34

What job does she want to do?

Maybe she wants to earn some more money

They say to treat your ap like you would a daughter - so I see it no diff then a teenager /20's wanting to work. I had a Saturday job

I would set her up on paye so you won't get a huge tax bill

Karoleann Sun 12-Jun-16 21:38:15

I'd be more worried about her not going to college, unless her spoken and written English is perfect.

A weekend job is fine IMO, but you will need to register as an employer. Are you happy doing this. If she seems like she'd be a good au pair then I don't think its a biggie.

AdHocElla Mon 13-Jun-16 15:38:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DonkeyOaty Mon 13-Jun-16 15:48:10

Babymamamama Mon 13-Jun-16 15:50:05

Adhoc I've reported your spam. Glad I didn't click on your link.

AdHocElla Mon 13-Jun-16 16:06:33

RNBrie Mon 13-Jun-16 16:09:37

Hilarious. Bit of a mix up between childcare and nude photography however "fine art" it may be grin

AdHocElla Mon 13-Jun-16 16:14:10

DonkeyOaty Mon 13-Jun-16 16:14:44

Oh fine art. Silly me I thought they were nudey rudeys.

shutupandshop Mon 13-Jun-16 16:15:24

hmm I'd report your own post ella unless you want to end up in DMshock

DonkeyOaty Mon 13-Jun-16 16:39:41

In case anyone thinks I was deleted for nortyness I wasn't - I'd reproduced the website link in my post without thinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now