Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Bank account for au pair?

(17 Posts)
Cornwall73 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:10:07

I would like our new au pair to open an account in order for her not to be charged if she withdraws money from her account abroad and also for us to pay her pocket money into.

Has anyone done it? I have read horror stories about providing id documents

NotSpartacus Mon 06-Jun-16 14:16:14

Both of our au pairs have opened a bank account.
They had to make an appointment and took ID and their invitation letter from me, which shows our address etc.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-Jun-16 10:44:52

I have done it, but NatWest required proof of employment on business letter head. It was all quite good involved.

Cornwall73 Tue 07-Jun-16 13:32:21

Thanks. I'm planning on visiting Barclays with her later in this week. I'd take her contract, ID and passport. She doesn't have anything else as she is not employed and is not a student.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-Jun-16 17:44:32

I have always classed my au pairs as employees ( I know people disagree about this), but it does make bank accounts etc more straight forward.

Karoleann Tue 07-Jun-16 20:30:39

We've had a problem previously as they don''t have proof of employment.

My current au pair managed to get here sorted before she came over from SA, but my first two never got anywhere.

My French au pair managed eventually to get a bank account with a very dodgy looking bank called metro bank, I don't know if they have branches everywhere but they have one between windsor and slough.

I'd be very careful printing out anything with the work employment for your au pair as you may then be liable for SSP, maternity pay, min wage, pension scheme etc....

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-Jun-16 22:22:41

Not liable for pension,ssp and SMP as earn to little.

DrownedGirl Tue 07-Jun-16 22:33:07

Our au pairs have opened basic accounts with hsbc, with two forms of ID, a letter from me and my council tax bill

Very straightforward

Querty12345 Tue 07-Jun-16 22:38:17

a very dodgy looking bank called metro bank

hmm

Karoleann Tue 07-Jun-16 23:17:12

lonecat - but they are entitled to min wage and maternity pay if they are employed and maternity benefits if not SMP.

querty - said bank does look dodgy its in the middle of the roundabout between windsor and slough and the staff are awful - but its all regulated by the banking authority in the UK (I checked),... its just not the bank you'd chose otherwise.

Querty12345 Wed 08-Jun-16 06:25:32

Well I chose it. The one in my city is very pleasant. How the f could a bank be dodgy looking?!

RNBrie Wed 08-Jun-16 06:30:22

Straightforward here too. HSBC. Copy of council tax bill and a letter from us.

She got a "basic bank account" which gave her a debit card and mobile/online banking but no cheques, overdraft or credit card.

AngieBolen Wed 08-Jun-16 06:30:25

Would a prepaid debit card work? I know osper cards are aimed at children but there must be others.

Cornwall73 Fri 10-Jun-16 16:39:35

Well after trawling several local high street banks today in an area well known for au pairs, nannies etc we drew a complete blank. All of them said that she needs to confirm her residency via a utility bill and that they would not accept a contract even backed by a letter from us and utility bill with our name on it. Two banks suggested that, since she is staying for a year, to add her to the water account and get them to issue a bill. Sigh!

RNBrie Sat 11-Jun-16 16:49:59

That's bizarre Cornwall, but so often it depends on how well trained the person you speak to is!!

Call HSBC and ask over the phone. We sorted out ours without me having to step foot in a bank (au pair had to go in with paperwork).

emodi Sun 12-Jun-16 14:41:28

Lloyds bank is great. My Aupairs both have opened accounts with them without any problems

Cornwall73 Fri 01-Jul-16 23:18:59

Visited Lloyds today and all sorted. The only bank that would give us the time of day! Unfortunately it's the one bank which is the far away from us but hopefully she won't need to go in that often. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now