This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny insurance

(10 Posts)
eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 05-Jun-16 11:11:34

Hi just looking around for nanny insurance and seems to be a few more options now other than Morton Michael who I have always used having not been doing any work over past 19mths I haven't renewed any insurance but looking to get back into some very adhoc bits and bobs now after having second child 18mths ago. smile

I have found Devon direct anyone any experience of them DH is a claims director for an insurance company (sadly don't do nanny insurance) and he hasn't dealt with them.

nannynick Sun 05-Jun-16 14:11:10

Have heard of them but never used.

There are many providers around now. Read policy documents BEFORE you sign up - most are available online. Look at what level of cover is provided, what is covered and what is excluded. Some policies limit number of children, others do not. Some give cover travelling abroad with the family. Some give access to a legal helpline service. Some will cover babysitting. Some will cover possessions for live-in nannies. Some will cover court costs up to a specified maximum.
All will cover the basics - often up to £3million or £5million such as:
- child being scalded by a hot drink left within reach
- baby wriggling and falling off a changing table
- toddler choking on something they should not have had access too
Things that you are considered to be negligent at the time the accident happens.
Typical exclusions:
- accidental bodily injury to a child not in your direct and immediate personal care.
- as a result of your actions or omissions... so if you deliberately injure a child! The policies are designed to cover accidents.
- property belonging to you or your employer... so no cover for your personal or work mobile phone.
- liability which should be covered under your employer’s household policy... so if a child fell down the stairs due to a loose carpet.
- any bodily injury to you... if this occurs whilst at work then this falls under your employer's household policy
- liability arising out of asbestos... all policies seem to exclude that. Probably best you don't bash down a ceiling that is rather old.
- terrorism, war... best not to nanny in a war zone.
- treatment (other than first aid treatment)... if you are needing to administer drugs, or using things like feed tube, then see policy wording for what is and what is not covered. Get appropriate training from parents/patient support.

Read policy documents and you will be able to find out who the ultimate underwriter is of the policy. It is often a large global insurer. For example, Morton Michel's policy is from Covéa Insurance.
Some will use China Taiping Insurance or Ageas
Insurance Limited. These large insurers do not deal direct with the public, they use intermediates who in turn use brokers. The policy document will mention this somewhere in it, so you can then have a look at the insurers website and get financial data if you so wish.

Problem I find with insurance is that you don't know how good it is until you make a claim and you never want to be in the position of making a claim. Would love to hear about claims made to the various nanny insurance providers - what do they and don't they pay out for?

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 05-Jun-16 15:26:04

Dh would check overover the policy
Thanks nannynick

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Jun-16 16:52:44

I've been with mm for years. Tbh I wouldn't change as they are the most well known and hopefully if anything ever happened would pay out

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 05-Jun-16 18:41:05

Mm is now £80/yr couple others £55-70/yr hence me considering another

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Mon 06-Jun-16 18:24:51

Went with nannytax in the end they have iincreased oover from £3m to £5m better overall policy and £70, mm was £83 had quotes up to £156!!

nannynick Mon 06-Jun-16 19:06:14

£156 that sounds rather high.
Not being Ofsted registered would be why your MM price was £83. I get the Ofsted reduced rate plus the BAPN discount, so ends up costing me less than £55 typically.

Childcare.co.uk have insurance cover as part of Gold Membership and have been discounting that recently, so some people may have been able to get membership with insurance for less than £55.

So hard to know which to choose, as we are not insurance experts and so can't work out which is best.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Wed 08-Jun-16 20:24:55

Thanks nanny Nick dh is an expert in many insurance areas more so claims.

I considered joining childcare. Co.UK for the free insurance

Most seem to be underwritten by general insurance uk who are apparently direct line and someone else according to dh.

Glad I got it sorted for the year and shall certainly keep an eye for childcare site offers leading upto renewal time

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Tue 19-Jul-16 23:08:04

Found this discussion while researching nanny insurance for myself, i've been a nanny for ages but never quite got round to it, changing now so thought I would get onto it.

Something I noticed while reading the t&c/FAQs for MM is that they will cover you for an incident that happened in the lifetime of the policy even if you no longer have insurance with them when a claim is made (parents/child can claim for injury anytime up to 21 years of age.) Had a quick look at childcare.co.uk and pretty sure they would not do the same. In fact you do jot even get a personal insurance certificate, it is a group policy.

Think I'm going to call a few for a chat as my new job is part-time and I want to make sure I'm covered for any ad hoc work/babysitting for additional families.

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-16 10:20:42

If you can find out the differences between policies do please post what you find. Some no doubt do offer better cover than others. Some will be group policy others individual, which is better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now