This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do you pay after-school nannies?

(8 Posts)
stickystick Tue 31-May-16 00:54:23

What's the going rate for an after school nanny in London?
One child, 3 to 4 hours an afternoon?

Earlybird Tue 31-May-16 01:01:47

It used to be £10 - £12 per hour, but that was ten years ago. No idea what it is now.

Whatever you decide, it obviously has to be enough to make it worthwhile for the person to spend the time and incur the expense of traveling into central London for the work.

nannynick Tue 31-May-16 19:46:09

I would say £11-£16 gross an hour, with you doing it through PAYE.
There will no doubt be some people who will do less, cash-in-hand but that is best avoided. Stay legal... offer a salary you feel able to pay and see if you get any applicants.

stickystick Tue 31-May-16 20:30:53

Nanny already lives quite centrally. Half an hour from us by bus or tube, plus she has other work not far from where I live.

She is already working for us 5.5 hours in the afternoons, around her other job. But when my son starts school in September hours will come down to more like 4 during term time, but be longer in the holidays (although they will still fit around her other commitments).

I pay £13.50 gross by PAYE, all above board, with paid leave and so on.

The question is whether her rate should now change. She has suggested £12-15 net which is a very big increase (and which I can't afford). Before I say no I wanted to check whether that is indeed the going rate. I can't find anything in the Internet (Childcare.co.uk or Gumtree etc) to suggest £12-15 net is right but perhaps I am badly informed...

Sorry for the drip feed - thought it was a simple question but on reflection perhaps it isn't.

littleladyluna Wed 01-Jun-16 12:21:58

I hate net rates but after school nannies usually make at least £12 net. they are odd hours to work and hard to fill if you're looking for someone to stay long term. In central London (Chelsea) I was being offered £15 net per hour.

KP86 Wed 01-Jun-16 12:23:54

Maybe look for a child minder instead? Would have to be cheaper than that!

Peasandsweetcorn Wed 01-Jun-16 12:29:39

I think that they do get to charge a premium as it is odd hours. I'm just outside the M25 and we were advised at least £12 an hour net, more if we wanted a choice of candidates.
With the longer days in the holidays, will your nanny work the same number of hours over the course of a year as she currently does for you? You could point that out to her. You could consider annualising her contract so she gets paid the same amount each month but that gets complicated when she leaves as one or the other of you may feel out of pocket.
With two DC, a cm is cheaper for us but obviously the children aren't in their own home & nor can they do after school activities.

stickystick Sat 04-Jun-16 20:53:54

peasandsweetcorn yes, I worked it out and over the year at current rates it ended up being about the same annual salary. So she wouldn't lose out. I had assumed that she would want it evened out equally every month and was prepared to offer that.
Maybe this is one for AIBU but I can't afford to increase her pay by 30%...it is a struggle as it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now